A commute I did yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
my car commute takes me past the magistrates court, past van scheiks tattoist I then pick up your route past fabric warehouse and the baby center upto penistone road

I also used to go to town end of the wicker and cut down bridge street and about 01:03 on your vid, go straight on and cut thro/by the carpark.

I'll edit a bit of the pic and put my route up

the bit with fabric warehouse and baby care on it is called shalesmoor. (There's also Harrold's on it, a shop that just sells security products like locks and things - very good value for bike chains)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
Is it just me but when I'm a passenger in a car I always look in my wing mirror and then over my shoulder before opening the door.

Just as I would do if I was driving (maybe the way I was taught).

course, I always do as well elmer 'cos being a cyclist i'm always aware of them but anybody could be there, peds, etc but some people are morons and can only see their little bubble

magna - I took another vid and tried angling it down a bit more like you said and it looks a lot better, there is less sky and the colors have thus improved. it was about 12 mins though so am having to edit bits out to make it fit on youtube. will finish it when i get back (this windows moviemaker is actually quite good now i've got the hang of it)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
My usual route, in that area
photo

photo
photo
photo
map1.jpg

1, coming into the Wicker, nice and legal
2, start of pavement cycling on the RHS of the road up to 3
3, questionable joining of the roundaout, at an exit.
4, check out the cycle lane at this point, just past 'The Riverside' couldn't stay in it at more than 15mph!

bonj said:
course, I always do as well elmer 'cos being a cyclist i'm always aware of them but anybody could be there, peds, etc but some people are morons and can only see their little bubble

magna - I took another vid and tried angling it down a bit more like you said and it looks a lot better, there is less sky and the colors have thus improved. it was about 12 mins though so am having to edit bits out to make it fit on youtube. will finish it when i get back (this windows moviemaker is actually quite good now i've got the hang of it)

Great. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the angles right.

I hope you don't have any hard feelings about the discussion we've had (i'm sure you don't but always best to make it clear!). None of it is personal of course. In fact I just don't want you to get hurt thats all (especially when you still have the camera to pass on :blush:)

KitsuneAndy

Being that lots of people are picking on Bonj's filtering, I have a question...

Why is filtering to the right side of a car safer than filtering to the left?

Cars can and do turn right as well...

I'll also admit to a spot of RLJing, but not at junctions, only at pedestrian crossings. I'll slow right down but if I'm 2 foot away from it and theres no one using it then I'll just trundle on over it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

magnatom said:
Great. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the angles right.

I hope you don't have any hard feelings about the discussion we've had (i'm sure you don't but always best to make it clear!). None of it is personal of course. In fact I just don't want you to get hurt thats all (especially when you still have the camera to pass on :blush:)

oh no, course, it's fine :angry:
KitsuneAndy said:

the theory is that the passenger might get out. But I just think it's unlikely.

KitsuneAndy

bonj said:
oh no, course, it's fine :blush:

the theory is that the passenger might get out. But I just think it's unlikely.

There could be a passenger in the back on the drivers side as well...

I think I'll still just filter on the left then.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
My usual route, in that area
photo

photo
photo
photo
map1.jpg

1, coming into the Wicker, nice and legal
2, start of pavement cycling on the RHS of the road up to 3
3, questionable joining of the roundaout, at an exit.
4, check out the cycle lane at this point, just past 'The Riverside' couldn't stay in it at more than 15mph!
so you can turn right just after the wicker arches then?
and you presumably have to go on the pavement at 2 because it's still only one way?

KitsuneAndy said:

I'll also admit to a spot of RLJing, but not at junctions, only at pedestrian crossings. I'll slow right down but if I'm 2 foot away from it and theres no one using it then I'll just trundle on over it.

The overriding reason that filtering on the right is safer is because drivers expect motorbikes to be doing it, therefore they pay more attention to what it going on in that mirror.

Secondly many many lazy / inexperienced drivers have their LHS mirror angled down all the time in order to make parking easier, thus you only appear in it at the very last second.

Finally a right turning car is easier to spot, because not only is the driver more likely to indicate, their road positioning is more intuitive.

The issue of a passenger jumping out at random is a lesser one IMO, though my policy of not filtering on the left probably reduces my perception of this hazard.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
so you can turn right just after the wicker arches then?
and you presumably have to go on the pavement at 2 because it's still only one way?

If you're coming into town, its before the wicker arches. The bus/cycle lane carries straight on under. But all the traffic stills goes that way???? They should stay in the normal traffic lane which now heads off to the right, where I go. Where you now would go under the rail tracks at '2' theres a set of lights, I just cycle into the RH contraflow and get out of the traffic.

You're right, in that at this point the right turn hasn't been opened yet and you cant travel on road directly up to ladies bridge area.

Try it the other direction and everythings open and plenty of cycle lanes.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Like I said IC, the start of Bonjs route is essentially a building site, loads of redevelopement going off. Going to be loads more due to it being hit by Junes flooding along with a new major development of the ‘Upper Don Valley’.

Have a scan back in a couple of years.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
If you're coming into town, its before the wicker arches. The bus/cycle lane carries straight on under. But all the traffic stills goes that way???? They should stay in the normal traffic lane which now heads off to the right, where I go. Where you now would go under the rail tracks at '2' theres a set of lights, I just cycle into the RH contraflow and get out of the traffic.
It's because most motons are seemingly hardwired in such a way that tells them they MUST go down the wicker. Most are coming from rotherham, tinsley etc and they work in town or on the other side of it. Their instinct therefore is to head straight towards town, and the biggest buildings they can see at that point are at the end of the wicker, so that's where they want to go. Even before the IRR had started, once on the wicker most still refused to turn left up that bit that goes to the parkway presumably because they thought it was a diversion, despite the fact it may have been quicker for them... :blush:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

He beeped you because you did something wrong. You called him a twunt because you did something wrong. It doesn't take much to work out who the cleverest is.

Nope. I may have done something 'wrong', but it wasn't dangerous so why does it matter. He beeped because he wanted to reprimand me, which is the incorrect use of the horn. The correct use of the horn is to warn of your presence, which wasn't at all necessary.
FWIW, you deliberately cycled terribly -RLJing, ignoring road signs, very poor lines around corners, all over the road- for the sake of the camera, or you really are a pretty poor cyclist.

I got there, in reasonable time and in safety, and enjoyed it. I think that makes me a pretty good cyclist.
Your comments are becoming tiresome, anyway - you used to engage in arguments in a valid way, now it's just attempted put-downs. Have you recently gone through a mid life crisis or something that's made you boring?
Improve or butt out.

Don't believe you.
Thanks to your camera Magna, we all now know where Bonj lives.

Is that supposed to be a joke, or not? If so, magna's already made that joke, it was pretty piss-poor then, so it certainly is now.
If not, then what does that even mean - what good is the information to you? Why would i have a problem with you knowing where I live? What are you going to do, wait outside with a baseball bat? Even if you did, how would you know which of the emerging cyclists was me?
If you want your own helmet camera, buy one (or hope you win this one) - then we can carp on about your cycling.

Top Bottom