A Couple of Brompton Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
1. What is the best oil for the Brompton and how often do I need to oil it? I have been a bit lax in this department.

2. Can the Brompton cope alright with bumpy canal paths at a reasonable speed? It's the Chichester canal which is most of my 2 mile ride to and from the station, now the weather has turned I just can't resist it plus it's quicker.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I only use oil the chain, so nothing special required for that.
I have the firm susupension block and M+ tyres pumped hard and over rough paths, going at speed is an eyeball wobbling challenge, slow down and it's not too bad. You may need to slow down and admire the view :-)

12boy

Guru
I wax my chain with an oil/wax mixture warmed in a crockpot and I use synthetic motor oil in the Sturmey hub. I put in a couple of ccs with a veterinary syringe , though the right side axle after removing the shift chain/rod and with the bike on its left side. You can hear the difference immediately when you ride. When it gets a bit noisy I put in more., as it slowly leaks out. I ride my Brompton on dirt paths without problems although a couple of inches of loose gravel ain't so good.

chris folder

Hi:hello: I been useing a dry oil for long time it keeps my chain cleaner looking can apply it often as its not as messy. I apply it more regular than a wet lube. I ride canal paths if just grit sort of flat surface and dry mud ok but when its stones I push bike or it feels like your rideing on a pneumatic drill:hyper: to bumpy for bike to much bumping on back forks to suspension block I use standard suspension block I don't no what other blocks are like with stones and ruff grounds

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have ridden my B, an S type, equipped with Kojaks inflated to 110psi, on that very path. My loose fillings have now all been replaced.

It was bearable, and only bearable, and only just bearable by slowing down. Riding that slowly is the antithesis of an S type.

Plumpton

Regular
All
I have ordered my brompton with Marathons. I plan on riding on the occasional stoney path. Not especially loose gravel but compacted stones.

My bikes not arrived yet but the dealer has offered to swap the tyres over for mararthon + for £16 total. Is this a worthy upgrade or would I regret it every time I ride on tarmac?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
All
I have ordered my brompton with Marathons. I plan on riding on the occasional stoney path. Not especially loose gravel but compacted stones.

My bikes not arrived yet but the dealer has offered to swap the tyres over for mararthon + for £16 total. Is this a worthy upgrade or would I regret it every time I ride on tarmac?
Yes. No.

Marathons are good - they're puncture resistant - but not as good as M+. As long as you keep the M+ pumped up to 100psi (keep a track pump at home and do it regularly) M+ roll well.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Regular chain lube and I ride the Rochdale canal from Oldham to Manchester, it is a heady mix of loose gravel, uneven cobbles & decent tarmac. The Brommy handles them all with aplomb at the appropriate speed and caution on the loose bits.

I oil a chain everytime I have been riding in the rain to displace the water, then wipe the excess off with a rag. WD40 is as good as anything.
I found ordinary marathons nearly as puncture proof as the Plus on my other bikes. A shame Schwalbe didnt produce the Supreme in 349 size.

Top Bottom