A couple of examples of poor driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats a posh voice !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's what I was thinking :smile:

Heh heh !! And Polite !

A couple of years ago, I was doing a fair pace and had someone do that and pull in and drive on a pavement to go to the local shop. He'd hammered it past, cut in, banged up the curb.

His window was down, and I shouted 'that was clever !' - got the usual 'FCUK OFF' that you get in the lovely Northenden.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Heh heh !! And Polite !

A couple of years ago, I was doing a fair pace and had someone do that and pull in and drive on a pavement to go to the local shop. He'd hammered it past, cut in, banged up the curb.

His window was down, and I shouted 'that was clever !' - got the usual 'FCUK OFF' that you get in the lovely Northenden.

A couple of years ago the taxi would have had my fist print on it!!! I have calmed down quite a bit :laugh:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Should I bother reporting it? Professional drivers really ought to know better.

potsy

Rambler
Professional driver? Don't make me laugh :laugh:

I lost my usual cool today and banged the side of a WV that cut me up, he switched from his lane to mine without indicating or looking, funnily enough it was in Northenden Foss.

Compared to us Liam Gallagher sound-a-likes you do sound posh Ben ;)

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Professional driver? Don't make me laugh :laugh:

I lost my usual cool today and banged the side of a WV that cut me up, he switched from his lane to mine without indicating or looking, funnily enough it was in Northenden Foss.

Compared to us Liam Gallagher sound-a-likes you do sound posh Ben ;)

Professional in the sense of it's what they do for a living.

Right, I'm off - my butler says the roast swan is ready.
Toodlepip.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
First video: First thing i notice is your cycling buddy is in the door zone. DON'T CYCLE IN THE DOOR ZONE!
The overtake isn't that bad from the video point of view but doing so at that speed on a road which is right next to some shops is pretty damn stupid. What happens after with the pedestrians is bullying behaviour.

Second Video:
As i said in the comments on youtube, i would take a stronger position in that lane and look over my shoudler every 5 - 10 seconds. It will help prevent such overtakes and squeeze ins and gives you a bit of run off space. Looking over your shoulder helps drivers behind you notice you and they second guess what you might be doing, as often cyclists check over their shoulder before they turn / change lanes. It also lets you see what the traffic behind you is doing.

Worth reporting, if by that you mean reporting them to roadsafe. I would report both of them but if you mean reporting at the local nick, then you will be waisting time as it won't get taken seriously.
No point reporting the taxi to TFL as they will not do anything about driving standards.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
First video: First thing i notice is your cycling buddy is in the door zone. DON'T CYCLE IN THE DOOR ZONE!
The overtake isn't that bad from the video point of view but doing so at that speed on a road which is right next to some shops is pretty damn stupid. What happens after with the pedestrians is bullying behaviour.

Second Video:
As i said in the comments on youtube, i would take a stronger position in that lane and look over my shoudler every 5 - 10 seconds. It will help prevent such overtakes and squeeze ins and gives you a bit of run off space. Looking over your shoulder helps drivers behind you notice you and they second guess what you might be doing, as often cyclists check over their shoulder before they turn / change lanes. It also lets you see what the traffic behind you is doing.

Worth reporting, if by that you mean reporting them to roadsafe. I would report both of them but if you mean reporting at the local nick, then you will be waisting time as it won't get taken seriously.
No point reporting the taxi to TFL as they will not do anything about driving standards.

Thanks Gas. Useful to have another perspective.

That "cycling buddy" is my wife. I think with the first set of cars it's OK as they are all facing us, so we can clearly see into the interior. Definitely too close on the van, I'll mention that.

The overtake itself was wide enough, but way too fast, and the beeping at the pedestrians was bang out of order.

2nd clip. Dual carriageway is problematic. Too far out and you get aggro, too far in and you get close passes. It doesn't help that there is a shared use path alongside, which I obviously should be using instead of the road. Point taken about looking behind more often.

Cheers.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I understand your concerns with the duel carriage way, i have one which looks similar to yours but is a 40 ( I don't know what the limit is on that road) and it is hard to control the lane, possible but very hard, I get lots of crap for doing it as well.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I understand your concerns with the duel carriage way, i have one which looks similar to yours but is a 40 ( I don't know what the limit is on that road) and it is hard to control the lane, possible but very hard, I get lots of crap for doing it as well.

It's 40 here too.
I think I'll start going a different way - slightly further but avoids this road altogether.

What camera are you using? I am looking to get one after a couple of close shaves, but not sure how much I want to spend

Top Bottom