A couple of new videos...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
When the cyclist passes the van it is not indicating left even though it's about 3 cars dist from the roundabout. So the assumption would have been for the van driver to go straight on. If he had been indicating then maybe I would have been inclined to tuck in behind him - but all that said it's still a narrow and useless crap cycle lane :blush:

Origamist said:
I think the fact that there are two cyclists in the lane and cycles painted in the lane at the RaB make it obvious to most people what the markings represent.

Aye, obviously, but I am talking in general terms here :blush:

nilling said:
When the cyclist passes the van it is not indicating left even though it's about 3 cars dist from the roundabout. So the assumption would have been for the van driver to go straight on. If he had been indicating then maybe I would have been inclined to tuck in behind him - but all that said it's still a narrow and useless crap cycle lane :blush:

Lesson 1: Never ever assume that a driver will make his intentions know to other road users......

:biggrin:

nilling said:

The cyclist did not indicate either, assuming he was indeed going left.

nilling

Über Member
This cycle lane encourages you to keep to the left. Whereas in practise you really want to join the main line of traffic in primary position before the junction to prevent potential LH

Cab

magnatom said:
Lesson 1: Never ever assume that a driver will make his intentions know to other road users......

:ohmy:

Lesson 2: NEVER ASSUME THAT A DRIVER WILL MAKE HIS INTENTIONS KNOWN TO OTHER ROAD USERS. Same as lesson 1 but louder.

Lesson 3: Never assume that a driver is correctly indicating his intentions, even when it appears that he knows where his indicators are.

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Aye, obviously, but I am talking in general terms here :ohmy:

You wrote:

"Yes the cars are staying over to the side, but I would bet that is because they have clocked some form of road marking, and not the fact that it is a cycle lane."

What has "general terms" to do with the statement quoted above? The majority of road users know what a cycle lane is, even if you don't think they do.

Origamist said:
You wrote:

"Yes the cars are staying over to the side, but I would bet that is because they have clocked some form of road marking, and not the fact that it is a cycle lane."

What has "general terms" to do with the statement quoted above? The majority of road users know what a cycle lane is even if you don't think they do.

Yes but I am pointing out the fact that road users (I'm not just singling out car drivers) take in what information they require and nothing more. So at times they will notice a marking at the side of the road, clock that they need to stay out of it, but might not actually register the precise detail of what the markings refer to.

It is well know in psychology that the human brain only registers what it thinks is important and filters the rest. Cycle lanes will on many occasions belong to the filter.

So it was quite a general statement about the ability of the brain and thus most road users (I say most here as we have to assume they all have brains!) to recognise that there is a cycle lane at the side of the road.

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Yes but I am pointing out the fact that road users (I'm not just singling out car drivers) take in what information they require and nothing more. So at times they will notice a marking at the side of the road, clock that they need to stay out of it, but might not actually register the precise detail of what the markings refer to.

It is well know in psychology that the human brain only registers what it thinks is important and filters the rest. Cycle lanes will on many occasions belong to the filter.

So it was quite a general statement about the ability of the brain and thus most road users (I say most here as we have to assume they all have brains!) to recognise that there is a cycle lane at the side of the road.

Thanks for the clarification.

Studies have found that road user behaviour is affected by the presence of cycle lanes (both positively and negatively). Therefore, I don't think that most road users filter and fail to register their meaning - particularly when cyclists are using them, as in the clip. Moreover, have you never had a motorist tell you that you should be cycling in one - no failure of perception then...

Origamist said:
Thanks for the clarification.

Studies have found that road user behaviour is affected by the presence of cycle lanes (both positively and negatively). Therefore, I don't think that most road users filter and fail to register their meaning - particularly when cyclists are using them, as in the clip. Moreover, have you never had a motorist tell you that you should be cycling in one - no failure of perception then...

More often than not I have drivers telling me I should be in the cycle lane, when there isn't one. Take from that, what you will...

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
More often than not I have drivers telling me I should be in the cycle lane, when there isn't one. Take from that, what you will...

Well, as many motorists would like us to be in them (or even better, segregated cycle paths) all of the time - such wishful inanities don't surprise me.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The overtakes were quite generous compared to some I get!! But granted they should allow at least as much room as they would a car.

Left hook? Dunno, the traffic started moving as the cyclist got alongside, it would have been (much) safer to slot into primary behind the van.

The joys of hindsight.

Top Bottom