A crying shame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got back from the local tip in a state of shock after watching a tip worker drag a De Rosa R838 frame with a Chorus carbon crankset and a pair of Campagnolo Khamsin wheels out of the general waste skip ,no front fork as far as I could see but the frame was sound with no cracks or breaks and the wheels looked okay , I offered to give it a good home but no joy :cry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ouch

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm just off to the tip with our fourth estate car load jammed to the roof with household junk. This time about half our books too as we decided that most will never get read again and many are old and of no interest. In the end you've just got to be ruthless. A lot of the junk is stuff we cleared out from my MIL's house after she died, it got stuck in the attic and forgotten.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just got back from the local tip in a state of shock after watching a tip worker drag a De Rosa R838 frame with a Chorus carbon crankset and a pair of Campagnolo Khamsin wheels out of the general waste skip ,no front fork as far as I could see but the frame was sound with no cracks or breaks and the wheels looked okay , I offered to give it a good home but no joy :cry:
At our tip, they let you buy stuff you are interested in, and cheap too.

Jody

Stubborn git
At our tip, they let you buy stuff you are interested in, and cheap too.

My dad skipped a set of car ramps at out local tip a few months ago and then saw them for sale two weeks later at a car boot sale. It wouldn't be so bad but the welds had given way and they were potentially lethal.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A handful of the folding stuff might have changed his mind and often these workers are quite canny so will know when that see something they can turn a penny on.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If the tip workers manage a bit of a sideline in salvaging re-usable or valuable items, I think it's a good thing all round.
A bit of beer money for them as an incentive to help the environment and society in general.
Sadly, what tends to happen, is that they aren't allowed to sell stuff privately as that is "stealing" so it all gets scrapped or worse, landfilled

I reckon there's a bit too much emphasis on "recycling" at the expense of "re-use"

roley poley

Über Member
local charity shops are closed and tips are open getting the stuff/gems that could have been filtered by the shops.The title of "recycle centre"does not live up to its promise

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This time about half our books too as we decided that most will never get read again and many are old and of no interest.
You might be surprised...

A family in Todmorden have put some bookshelves out on the pavement in front of their house and have been filling them with old books for people to take. Every time I look a few more have gone. I took a novel in German for my German-speaking stepdaughter (and will go back for another German novel and some German cookery books once the rainy season is over and the books are brought back out of the house) and an old yoga book for a friend who said that it is excellent. (Unfortunately, there were no books that I was interested in.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
regarding re-cycling books - I'll only donate reasonably good books (and DVDs) to the charity shop. Obvously only those I'll not read (watch) again, but will bin any books or films that are utter shyte as it's unethical for another person to waste their time finding out

screenman

Legendary Member
You used to have to bid for the license to scavenge the tip, this back in the eighties when I hade a waste clearence business, Richmond Surrey wa sover £24,000 a year back then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom