A Damien Hirst original for £1500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
NickM said:
It's not even a very good shark, is it?
That is maybe because he isn't a figurative artist.
Still, at least it's all his own work, which is more than can be said for most of the Hirst studio's output these days.
Successful artists have always had apprentice staff doing grunt work for them, right back to the Middle Ages.

Artist? Con artist, more like.
An awful lot of people think you are wrong and are happy to back that with their own cash. And when was the last time you gave anyone a £1500 tip?

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
ASC1951 said:
That is maybe because he isn't a figurative artist.
"Oh, I'm not a figurative artist". What a wonderful excuse for being crap.

ASC1951 said:
Successful artists have always had apprentice staff doing grunt work for them, right back to the Middle Ages.
I am aware of this. They were working a con too.

ASC1951 said:
An awful lot of people think you are wrong...
An "awful lot" of people like whatever is the latest chart-topping music sensation, but that doesn't mean that anything of worth has been produced.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I think Hirst has a talent for making money but that's it. His 'art' does nothing for me but then it's an individual thing and other folk wouldn't like what I like.
Even though it's quite obviously superior :biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
threebikesmcginty said:
I think Hirst has a talent for making money but that's it. His 'art' does nothing for me but then it's an individual thing and other folk wouldn't like what I like.
Even though it's quite obviously superior :smile:

Spot on 3BM.

And even artists recognise that "if you don't like it that's fine". If they don't they have a problem.

I went to the Monet Exhibit in Paris. There were some that were OK and some didn't make any sense at all - Until I took my glasses off (tired eyes). Then it made sense. Art for the short sighted it would seem........... :biggrin:

Mark_Robson

I sometimes think that there is an Emperors New Clothes mentality when it comes to art. People are afraid that they will be looked down upon for thinking that a pile of bricks or an unmade bed is shite. Well sorry but I do not believe that an unmade bed, a pile of bricks or even worse a pickled animal is art. And neither is that scribble of a shark worthy of any artistic praise, unless it was produced by an aspiring ten year old.

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Spot on 3BM.

And even artists recognise that "if you don't like it that's fine". If they don't they have a problem.

I went to the Monet Exhibit in Paris. There were some that were OK and some didn't make any sense at all - Until I took my glasses off (tired eyes). Then it made sense. Art for the short sighted it would seem........... :cold:

He was the first.
When Claude Monet came to England, he used to spend a lot of time in hotels near the River Thames. When the time came for him to pack up his canvasses and ship them back to Argenteuil he was struggling. He dispatched a hotel porter to get something to wrap the monster paintings up with and the lad returned with a hank of cord salvaged from a mooring by the River.
As a 'thank you' he was given one of the paintings...
....Monet for old rope.

Fair exchange.

Top Bottom