A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm just floating this idea to see what level of interest there might be in popping across to France (once the weather has warmed up) on a Saturday and enjoying a day's peaceful riding, away from the bike hating British motorists?

A day return on the ferries is £19 and takes 90 minutes, a return on HS1 from St Pancras to Dover is about the same price and takes an hour, so there'd be scope for a lot of riding on the wrong side of the road.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Looking at a Saturday, departing 06:37 St Pancras HS1, arriving Dover 07:41. Then get the 09:25 sailing arriving Calais 11:55 local time. Cycling around for a few hours, having lunch in Wimereux, following the coast road back to Calais in time to get the 20:35 boat arriving back in Dover 21:05 local time, to get the 21:49 HS1 arriving in St Pancras 22:54.

Last edited:

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Id love to but ive only got a mountain bike so i problys couldnt keep up with the roadies, but im deffinatley game, and i live in coata del sunderland !

U

User10571

HS1 = Like
Wrong side of the road = Like
Back in my own bed the same night = Like
Does that aardvark you question?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. By the way, doing a day trip from that ferry port a mile and a half from this sofa won't be doable, sailings are either too slow, too infrequent, or both, apart from the price. Dunkerque or Calais (former I think has slightly less unpleasant environs, if a slower sailing)?

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Yay!

U

User10571

I'm just floating this idea to see what level of interest there might be in popping across to France (once the weather has warmed up) on a Saturday and enjoying a day's peaceful riding, away from the bike hating British motorists?

A day return on the ferries is £19 and takes 90 minutes, a return on HS1 from St Pancras to Dover is about the same price and takes an hour, so there'd be scope for a lot of riding on the wrong side of the road.

Any thoughts?
I've no doubt you've looked into this thoroughly, Adam, but I'm unable to find a Dover - Calais crossing for less than £20.00 each way.
Or were you looking at something other than P&O ferries / or do I have poor ferry-fu?
ETA - further digging has found a return crossing for £20.50.
It doesn't say whether or not you need to bring your own paddle :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom