A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

I'm just floating this idea to see what level of interest there might be in popping across to France (once the weather has warmed up) on a Saturday and enjoying a day's peaceful riding, away from the bike hating British motorists?

A day return on the ferries is £19 and takes 90 minutes, a return on HS1 from St Pancras to Dover is about the same price and takes an hour, so there'd be scope for a lot of riding on the wrong side of the road.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Looking at a Saturday, departing 06:37 St Pancras HS1, arriving Dover 07:41. Then get the 09:25 sailing arriving Calais 11:55 local time. Cycling around for a few hours, having lunch in Wimereux, following the coast road back to Calais in time to get the 20:35 boat arriving back in Dover 21:05 local time, to get the 21:49 HS1 arriving in St Pancras 22:54.

Last edited:

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Id love to but ive only got a mountain bike so i problys couldnt keep up with the roadies, but im deffinatley game, and i live in coata del sunderland !

U

User10571

HS1 = Like
Wrong side of the road = Like
Back in my own bed the same night = Like
Does that aardvark you question?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. By the way, doing a day trip from that ferry port a mile and a half from this sofa won't be doable, sailings are either too slow, too infrequent, or both, apart from the price. Dunkerque or Calais (former I think has slightly less unpleasant environs, if a slower sailing)?

Last edited:

TheDoctor

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
The Calais area is quite pleasant, once you're away from Calais itself - about 10 minutes or so. Well worth while!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Yay!

U

User10571

I'm just floating this idea to see what level of interest there might be in popping across to France (once the weather has warmed up) on a Saturday and enjoying a day's peaceful riding, away from the bike hating British motorists?

A day return on the ferries is £19 and takes 90 minutes, a return on HS1 from St Pancras to Dover is about the same price and takes an hour, so there'd be scope for a lot of riding on the wrong side of the road.

Any thoughts?
I've no doubt you've looked into this thoroughly, Adam, but I'm unable to find a Dover - Calais crossing for less than £20.00 each way.
Or were you looking at something other than P&O ferries / or do I have poor ferry-fu?
ETA - further digging has found a return crossing for £20.50.
It doesn't say whether or not you need to bring your own paddle :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom