A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Will keep an eye on this, would be interested if the dates are good.:thumbsup:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Good idea, because the roads in france are more cyclist-friendly, plus it is somewhere fresh to ride. But for the addition of one night accommodation you could do so much more. You will need to buy an evening meal as well, but if you go to france for the day you will probably get backso late you need to buy a meal on the boat or at dover station uuurrghhh on the return trip.
Formule un hotels are ok, and the dunkirk one is much cheaper than the calais one. How about crossing to dunkirk, riding to belgium and up the coast, then maybe getting on the longest tram in the world and returning from ostend to de panne and riding southwest in a loop to arrive at calais and the ferry on a sunday. Tickets can be bought on the spot in the calais terminal for the next boat out, they nearly always have space for a cyclist.
That gives you two countries, a long tram, a bit of coast, some inland.
Just sayin'

That's true @mmmmartin... and then you can add another day... and then oops, another... and oh what I have I done, I've got a tour. :whistle:

I think the idea was to offer a continental option that is as inclusive and interesting as possible, for all those who for one reason or another can't be away overnight.
Otherwise, there is always the Fridays Tour in May or the Non-Tour in September. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I've no doubt you've looked into this thoroughly, Adam, but I'm unable to find a Dover - Calais crossing for less than £20.00 each way.
Or were you looking at something other than P&O ferries / or do I have poor ferry-fu?
ETA - further digging has found a return crossing for £20.50.
It doesn't say whether or not you need to bring your own paddle :tongue:

It would be Dover to Calais.

I went onto ferrysavers.com, and put in a random Saturday in May and got £19 return on P&O. 08:25 departure from Dover, and then leaving Calais at 20:35 (French time), so back in Blighty 21:05.

I had looked at Eurotunnel but it's more hassle as you have to stick to their pick up & drop off points & times, so you get far less time abroad.

About a year ago I had sketched out a nice day ride meandering south from Calais with a nice lunch stop, so I'll see if I can dig out the gpx.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think Rebecca's right with this one. It's unlikely I can make this but it's a fantastic idea. Much as there's a temptation to increase the ride by days, distance or speed. There needs to be more inclusive rides for everyone to get involved in, whether it be lower distances/easier pace/lower cost etc. It's good to push yourselves but the spirit of FNRs and for those riding them is that newbies can get involved. Forget that and we lose the variety and flavour of a diverse range of rides and that would be a detriment and a shame.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Nice idea - interested if dates work. Those guys with folding bicycles could take the Eurostar from Lille for the way back. It's just half an hour train ride from Calais to Lille, and then 1.5 hrs to London. If booked earlie, it's not necessarily much more expensive than ferry + ridiculous HS1 fares.

rb58

Enigma
Will watch this thread with anticipation. Nice one FD.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I found the original route I'd looked at over a year ago although that used the Eurotunnel, so I've revamped it, and it can be seen here.

I reckon 52 miles sorry, I mean 83 km should be a nice distance for a leisurely day trip. Out of Calais past Sangatte, and then follow the coast road west. We go right past the Musée du Mur de l'Atlantique which was the German Army HQ in WWII if anyone's wants to see how the Germans lived, then I reckoned lunch in Wimereux, before heading inland and heading back to Calais.

ianmac62

Guru
I'll watch the thread with interest. Much could depend not only on last trains from Dover to London but also from London to Northampton. Or a Dover hotel. What are your logistics from chez @Flying Dodo ?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I'll watch the thread with interest. Much could depend not only on last trains from Dover to London but also from London to Northampton. Or a Dover hotel. What are your logistics from chez @Flying Dodo ?

Quickly checking on trainline gives a 06:53 departure from Luton arriving St Pancras 07:18. Then stroll across to the SouthEastern platforms to get the 07:37 HS1 departure arriving Dover 08:41. I think P&O want you to check in at least 45 minutes before sailing, so that means aiming for the 10:15 boat, which then arrives in Calais 12:45 local time. As I'd suggested above the 20:35 boat back, that gets back into Dover at 21:05, giving plenty of time to get the 21:49 HS1 arriving at St. Pancras 22:54, then the slower trains getting back to Luton around midnight.

So for you to also factor in coming from Northampton, going to Euston, then cycling across to St Pancras would make it an even earlier start for you. We've got a sofa bed!

As we'd have to return to the port in Calais before 18:50, it would mean 6 hours abroad, so possibly the route I'd suggested might need to be cut back a bit. Alternatively it might be better to have a departure time about 1 hour earlier. So get the 06:37 HS1 from St Pancras arriving Dover 07:41, then the 09:25 sailing. From Dover train station to the port is about 1½ miles.

It would mean a long day, but seeing as we're tough night riders, I reckon it's do-able.

Last edited:
Top Bottom