A day ride in France - Sat. 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianmac62

Guru
Thanks for that, @Flying Dodo - but it doesn't look doable for me simply in terms of the earliest train into Euston (at least from London Midland's website which is playing up a bit at the moment).

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Thanks for that, @Flying Dodo - but it doesn't look doable for me simply in terms of the earliest train into Euston (at least from London Midland's website which is playing up a bit at the moment).

:sad:

The first Northampton train is the 05:16 arriving Euston 06:38, so too late if we look at the earlier St Pancras HS1. However you could get the 07:08 train arriving Dover 08:31 which should still allow you to just make the 09:25 boat.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I found the original route I'd looked at over a year ago although that used the Eurotunnel, so I've revamped it, and it can be seen here.

I reckon 52 miles sorry, I mean 83 km should be a nice distance for a leisurely day trip. Out of Calais past Sangatte, and then follow the coast road west. We go right past the Musée du Mur de l'Atlantique which was the German Army HQ in WWII if anyone's wants to see how the Germans lived, then I reckoned lunch in Wimereux, before heading inland and heading back to Calais.
That sounds entirely splendid, apart from the prevailing wind. IME the wind blows from Wimereux towards Calais, so I'd take an inland route out, then back along the coast road.

EDIT - Like I did on this ride a few years ago, in fact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
What would be average ride speed? It sounds like a good idea but I can't keep up with the fast rides

Based on the earlier sailing, it's 52 miles of cycling to be done, with 7 hours available to cover that and a lunch stop. I work on a moving average speed of 11-12 mph, so that's easily do-able. However if you're in Solihull, I think you may have problems getting to St Pancras in time, in order to get the HS1 to Dover. You'd have to get a Virgin train from Birmingham New Street.

That sounds entirely splendid, apart from the prevailing wind. IME the wind blows from Wimereux towards Calais, so I'd take an inland route out, then back along the coast road.

EDIT - Like I did on this ride a few years ago, in fact.

Thanks for that - I did wonder about the wind, so yes it would make sense to go the other way. There'd only be a small bit of adjusting the route in Calais to take account of their one-way system.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
To summarise:

Looking at a Saturday, April/early May, departing 06:37 St Pancras HS1, arriving Dover 07:41 (or make your own way to Dover if more convenient). Then get the 09:25 sailing arriving Calais 11:55 local time. Cycling around for a few hours, having lunch in Wimereux, cycling for a few more hours following the coast road back to Calais, in time to get the 20:35 boat arriving back in Dover 21:05 local time, to get the 21:49 HS1 arriving in St Pancras 22:54.

All to be done at a gentle pace 11-12 mph moving average (as it's not a race), no-one gets left behind.

I was thinking Saturday 2nd May, but has anyone got any preferences?

ianmac62

Guru
:sad:

The first Northampton train is the 05:16 arriving Euston 06:38, so too late if we look at the earlier St Pancras HS1. However you could get the 07:08 train arriving Dover 08:31 which should still allow you to just make the 09:25 boat.

Having slept on this, I realise that on the last couple of occasions I've crossed with a bike from Dover I've actually got to Dover the night before. The Premier Inn is just a quarter of a mile along NCR 1 from the main entrance to the docks. More civilised that catching the 0516 train out of Northampton. Call it an OAP thing.

Formule un hotels are ok, and the dunkirk one is much cheaper than the calais one.

And on one of those occasions, as CTC Northampton rode back from Aachen, we stopped at the Dunkirk Formule 1. A three-bed room was €27 which made the maths easy. Two single beds with the third folding out from the wall. Add three bikes and three sets of panniers into the room. It was disturbing hilarious to go to the loo in the middle of the night. Another OAP thing.

To summarise: I was thinking Saturday 2nd May, but has anyone got any preferences?

Ah, the last day of the season, when the Cobblers take on the mighty Wycombe Wanderers in an attempt to maintain League status. And then for me at least we're into the month in which dates for the Not The Fridays Tour Recce are starting to be juggled around.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I really like the idea of this, mostly because its not an overnight stay, so doesn't entail carrying much more than a jacket, purse and phone. Gonna check my diary

Top Bottom