a decent car driver!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimano

I was flogging my way up a slope against a headwindxx( through some roadworks this evening and was very aware of the car right up behind me:sad:. As the road widened just before the red traffic lights he squeezed past into the left filter lane (I was going straight on) and down came the window.
uh oh! here comes the abuse I thought but no! 'tough going up there mate but you've a downhill next' I was so taken aback I just sort of grinned and grunted in reply:wacko::laugh:;). So if you see a bearded guy in a dark green saloon in Edinburgh, give him a wave from me:biggrin::biggrin:

petec

(sigh) If only all car / bus / taxi drivers were like that....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've had an amazing few commutes recently. Loads of really good driving and thank yous from motorists. Best of all, the thank yous came in the form of a either a friendly wave or a double hazard flash after I held them up at pinch points taking primary. Reason for the thanks - me waving sorry, pointing out the hazards, and then waving them past.

hackbike 6

No I haven't had any amazing commutes recently,nothing like they want to make love to me for being such an nice cyclist or for being so good at punctuation,,,But I cant win them all,,,

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Last Friday on Ferry Road, I'm sitting in primary tootling along at the same speed as the traffic, about a car-length behind the vehicle in front of me. Up ahead, there are lights and I can see them changing and I know there's a long queue about to form, so I start coasting and a more-than-a-car-length space opens up in front of me.

Cue the woman in the Fiesta behind me flooring it to get into that space. Only when she's alongside does she realise that the traffic ahead has begun braking, so she chops back in and nearly takes my front wheel with her. I make a sideways gesture with one hand to indicate that a bit more space would have been nice, and I was stunned to see her hand go up and wave back at me. She'd obviously realised how close it was and had been looking in her mirror to see if I was still upright on the bike.

A few yards ahead, when I was filtering by her, I noticed her passenger window was open so I calmly stopped and said to her "You cut back in there a wee bit too early", to which she said "I'm really sorry".

So - not a decent example of driving, but she was decent enough to realise her mistake and apologise ! I think that has to be a first amongst the left-hookers I've encountered.

hackbike 6

I like the woman at Mile End the other week.We'd stopped at the traffic lights and said knob was on her mobile,so I proceeded to shake my head sadly.She then took the trouble to wind the passengers side window down, while still on the mobile and I don't think she was going to compliment me.

You are the selfish knobend love not me.

As,you,may,have,guessed,I,don't,know,how,to,use,punctuation.

I fang you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
He, you'd have been proud/embarrassed of me today Hackers. I was crossing Exhibition Road extension just inside Hyde Park, and saw no.1 nobend waiting at the lights on the phone, so I stopped and berated him. He refused to put the phone down, and so I stayed there for a whole light cycle, pointing, shouting to put the phone down, and so on. There must have been 20 cars all beeping, LOL!

BentMikey said:
He, you'd have been proud/embarrassed of me today Hackers. I was crossing Exhibition Road extension just inside Hyde Park, and saw no.1 nobend waiting at the lights on the phone, so I stopped and berated him. He refused to put the phone down, and so I stayed there for a whole light cycle, pointing, shouting to put the phone down, and so on. There must have been 20 cars all beeping, LOL!
And never a member of one Her Majestys Constabularys around when you need one.:biggrin:

janm399

Veteran
I had a decent driver encounter this morning! I was going from Parrs Wood towards Stockport on the A5145. The road is uphill, though not too steep, but it still slows me down to about 30 km/h. There is a pinch point and then a bend with traffic lights. A driver was behind me before I reached the pinch point; I pointed to the PP and moved to primary. When I was safely through, I moved to secondary and expected him to overtake into the bend. He didn't; in fact, he hung back until we were through the lights and he showed no signs of attempting to overtake when I avoided the parked cars on the left. Once I was past them, I moved to kerb-ary and signaled to him to overtake. He did and waved thanks! It really made the otherwise grey morning feel a lot better!

I had a decent driver last night, I was coming back from Fife last night, coming through Cramond I had a big Merc follow me, he patiently waited until we had passed a series of bends and even when I pulled to the left to let him by he still waited a moment or two until the road was entirely clear. Got home a few minutes later and noted the batteries in my rear light had failed ;) I like to think that he was guarding my back through that poorly lit section.

Top Bottom