"a detested kite"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
(No googling the reference in the thread title)

Spent last week in Mid-Wales, no time on the bike worse luck, but plenty of hours behind the wheel.

When I first started visiting there and when we lived there spotting a Milvus milvus was cause for much excited hopping from foot-to-foot, squealing, pointing, and general "Is it? Yes it is! Look at the tail" OMFG'ing. Later a trip to the Gigrin Farm would guarantee a sighting, but now...

Now the chuffers are everywhere. Saw dozens every day. They almost made the buzzards seem rare!

Where, outside of Mid-Wales, have you seen a Red Kite?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Seen more then I can remember in Beds, Bucks and Herts whilst riding there. On one ride, myself and @jayonabike saw 8 of the blighters circling above one field.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
(No googling, the reference in the thread title)

Spent last week in Mid-Wales, no time on the bike worse luck, but plenty of hours behind the wheel.

When I first started visiting there and when we lived there spotting a Milvus milvus was cause for much excited hopping from foot-to-foot, squealing, pointing, and general "Is it? Yes it is! Look at the tail" OMFG'ing. Later a trip to the Gigrin Farm would guarantee a sighting, but now...

Now the chuffers are everywhere. Saw dozens every day. They almost made the buzzards seem rare!

Where, outside of Mid-Wales, have you seen a Red Kite?
They used to be all over the place in parts of Oxfordshire. There'd been a bit of a conservation work and many of the farmers seem to have happily taken it on board and put food out for them. They feed a lot on carrion, apparently.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I see them from time to time round the Long Mynd and Stiperstones area in Shropshire, which I think is great given they were so rare not that long ago. Even saw one soaring on thermals above my house last summer.^_^

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They used to be all over the place in parts of Oxfordshire. There'd been a bit of a conservation work and many of the farmers seem to have happily taken it on board and put food out for them. They feed a lot on carrion, apparently.
Some Mid-Wales farmers claim they kill live lambs but others of my acquaintance assert only if the lamb is near death the kites preference being lambs/sheep that are dead already. Certainly seen them take live prey up in Hafren Forest but only small stuff.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Some Mid-Wales farmers claim they kill live lambs but others of my acquaintance assert only if the lamb is near death the kites preference being lambs/sheep that are dead already. Certainly seen them take live prey up in Hafren Forest but only small stuff.
Actually, the ones I saw were around Christmas Common so they were quite possibly the same ones that @User14044 reported.

Venod

Eh up
A lot round Harewood North of Leeds.

http://harewood.org/explore/bird-garden/bird/red-kites/

Levo-Lon

Guru
See loads at fineshade and wakerley woods . Cambs northants border area
know what you mean GG, none about as a kid and now its Kite heaven. I Love prey birds.
just had the Goshawk on country file..

see Kites over the house sometimes ..

Phyllosc

They're not resident in my part of Suffolk but I saw two last year, one only a couple of miles from home. Always good to see. We also had an escaped Milvus migrans hanging around for a little while...

jayonabike