A few pictures from the Muur-Kapelmuur 6/04/08

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
A bakery in Geraardsbergen
2395756220_cdac23faa9.jpg

The bottom of the hill
2395632770_5c1613ffff.jpg

The top of the hill
2394809291_61ece29a7e.jpg

Nicole Cook
2395657240_411ce2b758.jpg

Stijn Devolder on his way to victory
2395682940_4682eacbff.jpg

Tom Boonen
2394807983_a7a515ff5c.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That top pic's making me hungry! :blush:

Mortiroloboy

yenrod said:
For some reason Boonens bike looks different to an off-the-peg Specialized bike.

Specialized did him some bespoke front forks I believe, with Zertz inserts, like those in the seat stays.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's one of the Kemmelberg:

buttress.jpg

Okay, it isn't really the Kemmelberg but it gives you an idea of what it would have been like coming down it before they put the tarmac descent in this year - madness!

I've posted this picture before - it is The Buttress in Hebden Bridge. I tried riding down it once but only got about 50 metres before I chickened out and that wasn't on the steepest section. I almost crashed when I braked. Believe it or not - this is on the official route of the Pennine Cycleway - crazy decision of the route planners. There is a quiet road parallel to that which is (just) rideable so I think they should have used that instead.

I've only heard of one guy managing to ride up it. I'm going to have a go when I've lost a lot of weight. It wouldn't be quite so bad on a mountain bike, but it would be an absolute killer on a road bike. The bottom section is close to 30% and there is a drainage channel to get over at the top of that.

ColinJ

fossyant said:
Swiss Hill is better / rougher (Alderley Edge) - You are only meant to go up this type of hill.......
SwissHillAlderleyEdgeCheshi.jpg

That doesn't look worse... but I still wouldn't fancy riding up or down it!

As for the Buttress... it is criminally stupid to send cyclists down it, but the cycleway sign at the top does just that!

I tell you what - I fancy a stroll. I'll take my camera out and film the climb/descent. I'll post it on YouTube later.

ColinJ

simonali said:
Try Gold Hill in Dorset.
Panoramic view on the BBC website.

That's the 'Hovis' hill isn't it!

Hang on, by the mighty power of Google/YouTube I bring you... a classic British TV ad from way back ;)!

Yep, that's pretty damn tough, but at least there is some room for zigzagging. The Buttress is too narrow for that so you either go straight up it, or more likely, you don't!

I like Somerset, Devon and Cornwall but I've never been to Dorset. It looks really nice down there - I must go down with my bike one day.

Top Bottom