A Flaw with "going back to nature"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you consider the question to be more along the lines of "How well does our very busy, while sedentary lifestyle and the quantity and type of food we eat match with our bodies physical and mental needs"? the answer may be "not very well". I believe one of most basic needs is to feel we matter to other people and this need is not always met well in our world today.

Sitting on chairs all, or most of the day is pretty bad for our backs (and hips) Same with driving.
It keeps a lot of chiropractors, and yoga teachers in business though.
Do keep up the sitting guys.
You're paying for my train tickets and biking and hiking trips.

I get the odd twinge in my back from growing all this lovely organic food for other people (and me) to nourish themselves with.
But the yoga generally sorts that out too.

Has our food ever met our needs? Did our hunter gatherer ancestors ever get all their needs met by what they were eating? And was the move to farming and a more settled lifestyle a step forward or a step back?

We used to eat a far more varied, and nutritious diet before we industrialised our food system for the convenience of those making a profit from it.

Cheap processed food is bad for bodies.. Good for supermarkets, and processors bank balances though.. T£sc0 loves it..

Settled farming probably started a lot of wars.

Build a grain store, fence in cattle, and a town will spring up.
You can have more children, more wives even, as a result, become rich, and a bit fat.

Then someone else might take a shine to all that, and come and fight you for it.

Before you know it, we have nations, national armies..
Office work, out of town shopping centres, and bad backs... :wacko:

Last edited:

Mark pallister

If we weren't 'designed' to sit then what are buttocks for.
Kicking

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was struck by that when I walked around the graveyard at Haworth Parsonage. There were lots of tombstones with multiple children's names on, and quite a few for people who had lived to 80+ years, but relatively few for middle-aged people. I looked it up afterwards - in 1850, life expectancy in the village was 25.8 years and 41.6% died by the age of 6! :eek: - sanitary report.
In Tudor times 8 out of 10 died before 40. But if you made it past 40 there was a good chance you’d get to 60.

Henry VIII died aged 55. Elizabeth I was 69. But peasants had much harder lifestyles so would die much earlier.

12boy

Guru
I believe that buttocks are required for standing and walking. Also an integral part of sexual attraction, I've read. I am in favor of them....familiar with the expression "Got so skinny it hurts to sit down" ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Longevity is a modern thing (unless you believe the stories in the bible) and the more birthdays you have, the longer you live. We have birthday cake, cavemen didn't, which is proof that birthday cake is the secret of eternal life.
One problem.
Those born on the 29th February. They only have a birthday once every four years. This means less cake.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Sitting on chairs all, or most of the day is pretty bad for our backs (and hips) Same with driving.
It keeps a lot of chiropractors, and yoga teachers in business though.
Do keep up the sitting guys.
You're paying fory train tickets and biking and hiking trips.

I get the odd twinge in my back from growing all this lovely organic food for other people (and me) to nourish themselves with.
But the yoga generally sorts that out too.

We used to eat a far more varied, and nutritious diet before we industrialised our food system for the convenience of those making a profit from it.

Cheap processed food is bad for bodies.. Good for supermarkets, and processors bank balances though.. T£sc0 loves it..

Settled farming probably started a lot of wars.

Build a grain store, fence in cattle, and a town will spring up.
You can have more children, more wives even, as a result, become rich, and a bit fat.

Then someone else might take a shine to all that, and come and fight you for it.

Before you know it, we have nations, national armies..
Office work, out of town shopping centres, and bad backs... :wacko:
Yeah - buts it's not all bad .........is it ?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I believe that buttocks are required for standing and walking. Also an integral part of sexual attraction, I've read. I am in favor of them....familiar with the expression "Got so skinny it hurts to sit down" ?

Buttocks are fine for sitting on too.
It's just better done cross legged on the floor.

Much better for your hips and back :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Riding a bike ! Bums for power, and wheels for moving - what's this walking malarkey

I like doing both.

I agree with the notion that humankind reached the pinnacle of technological advancement when we developed the bicycle..

Oh and maybe the train to put the bicyle on from time to time.

If we'd skipped the infernal combustion, and gone straight to hydrogen power for the trains (and tractors) imagine how lovely life would be now.. :smile:

Top Bottom