A "fun" encounter earlier today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
On the subject of roundabouts, Swindon has this:

http://www.swindonwe...=8&s=115&ss=289

I've driven around it (Oh my God!!!), has anyone survived cycling around it?

I ride through he magic roundabout every day it's great fun and no problems, well apart from one incident but that type of incident can happen at any roundabout.
I just ride it the way I would drive it, positively and expecting muppets to do something stupid.

Best road rules they have IMO, and they have no roundabouts !

They do have roundabouts although they call them circles or rotaries. Mainly in the NE though. Here's an example. And another one.

Cardiac

Über Member
The one in Hemel Hempstead is very similar - just treat it as separate roundabouts connected by very short bits of regular carriageway.

hemel-rab.jpg

Originally there were six mini RABs, but for some years it's been reduced to five.

abo

On the subject of roundabouts, Swindon has this:

http://www.swindonwe...=8&s=115&ss=289

I've driven around it (Oh my God!!!), has anyone survived cycling around it?

'Though there have been 14 serious accidents and just over a hundred lesser ones recorded in 25 years, that rate is less than one would expect for such a busy junction. Most accidents have involved cyclists and motorcyclists and now a cycle lane running right round the outside of the roundabout, with pelican crossings, should ensure that the Magic Roundabout becomes as safe as it is efficient.'

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
There's a nasty roundabout on my commute that is awful. I take the third exit (so turning right) but the one lane on approach is designed for right turning traffic to head into two lanes after the roundabout. What makes that difficult, is that on exit, the cycle lane after the roundabout is in the middle of the two lanes! This means you often have some imbecilic caged arse either cutting across you on the RAB or whingeing that you are in their way. Of course it's way beyond your average moton's intelligence to figure out the road layout is the problem not the cyclist. I'll try to attach a pic.
That is truly an abomination. (Link here.) The cycle lanes there are absolutely stupid. Any cycle approaching along Newmarket Road there should be in primary position in lane 1 or 2, but the cycle lanes will make drivers think that is wrong. Absolutely crazy.

BSRU

A Human Being
'Though there have been 14 serious accidents and just over a hundred lesser ones recorded in 25 years, that rate is less than one would expect for such a busy junction. Most accidents have involved cyclists and motorcyclists and now a cycle lane running right round the outside of the roundabout, with pelican crossings, should ensure that the Magic Roundabout becomes as safe as it is efficient.'

What cycle lane running right round the outside?
I have never seen it, unless you mean the pavement.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
it is amazing the number of motorists who have no clue how to use a roundabout. Most guess their way round it and fail to signal corectly or use the correct lane on approach. Many don't know who has priority and yet it is so simple!
Driving skills should be re-assessed and updated at least every 10 years for all motorists.

abo

What cycle lane running right round the outside?
I have never seen it, unless you mean the pavement.

God knows, just quoting the website. Maybe they intend to build one at some point. Mind you, a cycle lane all the way round the outside would just piss me off I think, if I wanted to turn right into the next road round, anti-clockwise. You'd have to cycle all the way around instead of cutting through the thing with the rest of the traffic.

It does look like a bit of a free-for-all mind

Cardiac

Über Member
Driving skills should be re-assessed and updated at least every 10 years for all motorists.

Agree 100% with this (and that was before I took up cycling again).

BSRU

A Human Being
God knows, just quoting the website. Maybe they intend to build one at some point. Mind you, a cycle lane all the way round the outside would just piss me off I think, if I wanted to turn right into the next road round, anti-clockwise. You'd have to cycle all the way around instead of cutting through the thing with the rest of the traffic.

It does look like a bit of a free-for-all mind

It seems to work rather well, although I do know some people who take a detour rather than have to negotiate it.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That is truly an abomination. (Link here.) The cycle lanes there are absolutely stupid. Any cycle approaching along Newmarket Road there should be in primary position in lane 1 or 2, but the cycle lanes will make drivers think that is wrong. Absolutely crazy.

That's a horrible approach as well- I join from the right, at least no silly red paint in the middle there, and a traffic island 50 or so yards before the roundabout at least enables me to move to the right hand lane on approach. The fun and games begn on the roundabout itself- I've decided I simply can't win, so I make sure drivers know I'm there and just go for it!

That pic of the roundabout in Hemel in reminded me of this beastie just east of Basildon. I wonder if anyone's cycled through that and lived to tell the tale! I don't think I can attach a pic as am at work, but this link should work.....

http://maps.google.c...168945&t=h&z=18

Adasta

How does one navigate that thing?

Consider each of the satellite roundabouts to be individual roundabouts. Therefore, to cross the roundabout from left to right, so to speak, one would take the right-hand lane at the smaller roundabout, take a central line across the "middle" roundabout and then take the first/second lane on the final roundabout to exit.

Top Bottom