A Genuine Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wahoofish

A lot of the roads that I cycle in Northern Ireland are country roads, no hard shoulder, windy, single lane each way and a 60mph speed limit.

On these roads, traffic can very quickly build up behind a slow vehicle, whether a tractor, a loader or a bicycle, with very few opportunities to overtake safely in many cases. Now, when I learned to drive a tractor on the roads many years ago, the expectation was that, once there were a number of cars (normally ten or more) built up behind you, you should pull off when safe to do so, to allow them to continue on their way.

I apply a similar rule when cycling. If there are a number of cars building up behind me, I will, when safe, pull over and let them pass, before continuing on my way. My logic is that this supports a positive image of cyclists, but I have one concern. Am I assisting to create an impression that this is the expectation for all cyclists, therefore creating stress down the line? Thoughts?

A lot of the roads that I cycle in Northern Ireland are country roads, no hard shoulder, windy, single lane each way and a 60mph speed limit.

On these roads, traffic can very quickly build up behind a slow vehicle, whether a tractor, a loader or a bicycle, with very few opportunities to overtake safely in many cases. Now, when I learned to drive a tractor on the roads many years ago, the expectation was that, once there were a number of cars (normally ten or more) built up behind you, you should pull off when safe to do so, to allow them to continue on their way.

I apply a similar rule when cycling. If there are a number of cars building up behind me, I will, when safe, pull over and let them pass, before continuing on my way. My logic is that this supports a positive image of cyclists, but I have one concern. Am I assisting to create an impression that this is the expectation for all cyclists, therefore creating stress down the line? Thoughts?
I will pull over when convenient and safe to do so. I will be the judge of that, not the vehicles behind.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Tough one. I do the same as the stress/thought of danger spoils my ride. I would rather do what you do. What others do is entirely up to them. I would rather focus on the positives I can create. For a few years I have been waving drivers through when it's clear to pass and also waving in appreciation when I get passed sensibly. I get toots and friendly waves back sometimes.

I don't think many people driving are so stupid they tar all cyclists with the same brush because of a few bad examples.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I will sometimes pull in if there's a long of queue of traffic behind me, but I never do it in town only on rural roads where traffic is faster. I will also sometimes briefly ride in the gutter (shock horror!) to allow a queue of cars to pass easier. I often pull over for HGVs partially out of courtesy because it's harder for them to pass and partially because I don't like 44 tons of metal breathing down my neck.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If I know they'll be stuck for a while I'll find somewhere to swing in and very clearly let them know it is for their benefit. If it's only a short while before the road opens up I'll make them wait.
I've stopped waving people around to overtake though, a few times I did it and the motorist behind wasn't ready to go, so by the time they checked themselves, dropped it a gear and went something was coming the other way leaving me feel like I nearly caused an accident so gave up, it's all on them now.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Am I assisting to create an impression that this is the expectation for all cyclists, therefore creating stress down the line? Thoughts?
Don't worry, we are expected to disappear at the mere sound of a motor anyway.
Country road with poor visibility, of course I would get out of the way when iy's safe, but in town not so often, pinch points and similar are there for a reason.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll always pull in to let cars pass when it's safe to do so. I don't need impatient people trying to get by when there isn't room, and letting them pass increases the sum total of human happiness.
I've also never suffered the sort of aggression that seems to be the daily lot of some on here. I wonder if there's a connection?
Sadly not. I pull over where it's safe to do so because I don't enjoy motorists driving (usually dangerously close) behind me, but I still encounter the odd very odd motorist. For example, yesterday I was abused for turning right onto a cycle track, as far as I can tell. I wasn't even holding up any motorists as I had pulled onto the hatched area in the middle of the road.

classic33

Leg End Member
Single lane each way should give any following vehicle the chance to pass, when the driver is able.

Single lane, anything following can wait until I feel it's safe for me. I'll pull in for tractors at this time of year, when I get the chance. There's a certain amount of protection they can give when they're in front.

Type of single lane road in question
80_km_h_limit_sign_on_a_forest_road.jpeg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My thoughts on this is that if I can help with the free flow of traffic, I will. A bike needs very little space to pull in and it can be quite stressful haveing a queue of slow moving traffic building up behind you. I move over and even stop to let them get by and then have a stress free ride.

classic33

Leg End Member
I pull over from time to time and I wonder whether I'm contributing to a sense of entitlement, and an expectation on the part of drivers that all riders should always do this. But it's nice to get traffic off your tail.

I don't pull over if I have a good rhythm going and I'm rolling at, say, 30kmh. This is despite the fact that there's not much difference to a driver between a bike going at 30kmh and one going at 20kmh
If I'm matching the speed of other traffic(times when that isn't hard do) then it'll be "blues & twos" that will be the only thing I pull over for.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Like most on here it seems, I give anyone following help to pass whenever I can. I don't ride in urban areas very much so I'm thinking of country roads. Another related situation is when someone is joining the road I'm on from the left. If I know there's no-one behind me I'll sit up and wave them out, saving them from having to overtake me immediately after. That usually gets an appreciative wave.

I understand the point about creating an expectation that cyclists should get out of the way the moment a car comes into view. But you could also argue that by showing obvious consideration to motorised road users, we reinforce our right, in their eyes, to use regular roads.

rivers

How far can I go?
Like most others on here, if there is a queue behind me, I let cars pass when it's safe to do so. Either by pulling in if there is an area to, or hanging back at a junction (although that is more on club runs). Although, I won't pull over on a hill, even if there is a space to do so. Mostly because if the gradient is steep enough, once I stop, there's no way I'm getting to the top without walking. So on a hill, cars just have to wait until they can safely pass me.

Top Bottom