A good day for the Neurodiverse...especially women....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I doubt there are as many nuero diverse women either. Perhaps 20% max.

Also the male intelliegence has a great spread compared to women, so many more highly intelligent men but more lower intelligence men too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variability_hypothesis

I'm dubious about the confidence with which you make this bold statement. The article you link to shows that there is little consensus amongst people working in this area.

I'm also dubious about anything that refers to IQ test results at a time when we cannot even give a solid definition of intelligence.

Apart from anything else there are so many social variables that can influence the results. Do "bright" boys get more encouragement than "bright" girls? Are boys taught to have higher career expectations than girls?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not fully understood or welcomed at times I’ve found I mean it’s not my fault I think differently.
Funny how when my idea fixed a problem helping them look good one looked to mind.

Conversely, I don't think we understand the impact of our behaviours on others either. It can be hard work having us around....

All uphill

Still rolling along
Wouldn't it be nice if we could value everybody's differences even if they don't have a label?

I say that as a person who is not on the spectrum, doesn't have ADHD but has never thrived in mainstream environments. I refer to myself (if I must) as a socially confident introvert. Not a choice - just the way I am, and I have been told hundreds of times that I should get out more, or drink more; join in, make an effort.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Conversely, I don't think we understand the impact of our behaviours on others either. It can be hard work having us around....

Interesting.

I really struggled to cope with a colleague who just couldn't be still or quiet until he told me he had a diagnosis of ADHD. Suddenly I understood a bit better, and felt able to tell him I need quiet to work effectively. It made it much easier to just say what we needed.

Shame we couldn't have done that earlier without labels being needed.

colly

Re member eR
I have no issue with a specific call for women as I feel acceptable reasons were given.

Would you be quite so sanguine had the call gone out for ND men as opposed to ND women. Or maybe white ND people as opposed to Black, Asian, or whatever.

Acceptable reasons could be given for any issue. (acceptable to you maybe but perhaps not for the person overlooked)

It's isn't so long ago that women were considered unable to do all sorts of jobs simply because they 'think differently'. Well they do, but is that any reason to exclude someone because of their gender?

Jody

Stubborn git
Would you be quite so sanguine had the call gone out for ND men as opposed to ND women. Or maybe white ND people as opposed to Black, Asian, or whatever.

If ND women were over represented or the majority, then yes.

Not sure race really comes into it

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Heartening news to a point, although these establishments will ruthlessly seek out employees who tick all the boxes and I suspect they've long-known that those on the spectrum can offer an enormous amount if selected and supported appropriately.

I'm surprised that they're actively looking to recruit those with ADHD though - ASD; fine if you want someone who will self-motivate and hyper-focus on whatever techie task you've given them, but what positive skillset does ADHD bring to the table? Maybe if the hyper-activity component can be harnessed...

Not presenting this in a pointed / derogatory way; as someone who's diagnosed with one and probably has the other ;)

Finally, something I've often wondered - are the "neurologically diverse" in society over-represented in cycling communities?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Interesting.

I really struggled to cope with a colleague who just couldn't be still or quiet until he told me he had a diagnosis of ADHD. Suddenly I understood a bit better, and felt able to tell him I need quiet to work effectively. It made it much easier to just say what we needed.

Shame we couldn't have done that earlier without labels being needed.

In my work there are certain computer/organisational tasks that I simply can't deal with. This has been a source of managerial and team conflict since forever. I have been described as difficult, lazy, belligerent and publicly shamed into attempting these tasks. It has led to resentment from some colleagues who have to do this for me. I have resolutely refused to do them. I have only survived in my role because I have brought another valuable skill-set to the party.

Now, since my recent diagnosis for ADHD, there is now a tacit understanding as to why I am unable to do those tasks, it's accepted.
Labels work both ways....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Heartening news to a point, although these establishments will ruthlessly seek out employees who tick all the boxes and I suspect they've long-known that those on the spectrum can offer an enormous amount if selected and supported appropriately.

I'm surprised that they're actively looking to recruit those with ADHD though - ASD; fine if you want someone who will self-motivate and hyper-focus on whatever techie task you've given them, but what positive skillset does ADHD bring to the table? Maybe if the hyper-activity component can be harnessed...

Not presenting this in a pointed / derogatory way; as someone who's diagnosed with one and probably has the other ;)

Finally, something I've often wondered - are the "neurologically diverse" in society over-represented in cycling communities?

Oi! Us ADHD peeps can be very good hyperfocusers and illogical problem solvers! We see the world differently.

I would wager that cycling is more neurodiverse than the general population....

All uphill

Still rolling along
Don't you feel sorry for all the normals?

No special talents, they just plod along like everyone else (except for those annoying oddballs who really need a slap).:laugh:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

No special talents, they just plod along like everyone else (except for those annoying oddballs who really need a slap).:laugh:

No, not at all.
I have spent most of my life trying and failing at being a 'Normal' person. When you don't know why you don't 'behave' like most people do,it makes for both internal and external conflict. I have lived a life and done things for 59 years that I didn't understand. I have unknowingly caused hurt to those I loved most. I have spent many times in tears unable to understand what just happened and trying to explain that I'm not a bad person on the inside. I don't know why I can't be like other 'normal' people. Not an hour of my life goes by without berating myself for things I have done in the past.
I'd take 'Normal' anyday until diagnosed....

All uphill

Still rolling along
No, not at all.
I have spent most of my life trying and failing at being a 'Normal' person. When you don't know why you don't 'behave' like most people do,it makes for both internal and external conflict. I have lived a life and done things for 59 years that I didn't understand. I have unknowingly caused hurt to those I loved most. I have spent many times in tears unable to understand what just happened and trying to explain that I'm not a bad person on the inside. I don't know why I can't be like other 'normal' people. Not an hour of my life goes by without berating myself for things I have done in the past.

I understand that and am sorry if my flippant comment was insensitive.

I sincerely hope that understanding who you are, and how you are will allow you to be gentle on yourself. It has taken me five years of retirement to start enjoying who I am.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Oi! Us ADHD peeps can be very good hyperfocusers and illogical problem solvers! We see the world differently.

I would wager that cycling is more neurodiverse than the general population....
Absolutely no disrespect intended - just struggling to see the pros from my side ;)

I think that cycling appeals to the mindset of those who assess situations rationally / objectively rather than emotionally / selfishly / through prescribed and conventional groupthink, and so correlates with the mindset of many of us who aren't "normal" (see below!) :smile:

FWIW it seems that neutotypical people tend to be driven by emotional incentives and the pack-mentality desire to be accepted / included. Conversely, as someone who's usually driven largely by cold, rational logic and has always been an outsider I'm very happy to distance myself from the prevailing mindset that's brought the world to the sorry state it's in currently... although of course we'll all suffer as a result of the previaling mentality :sad:

why particularly neurodiverse WOMEN?
I thought it had long been recognised in any case that folk on the autism spectrum etc can have a particular aptitude for certain types of techie disciplines.
and would have thought that certain organisations have long recognised and tapped into this.
Is this news or just PR from bodies trying to seem "on message"?

I can remember in my graduate recruitment days thirty years ago how we often interviewed people who clearly had trouble relating to other people and some everyday workplace issues but who were technically very good and able to do a good job in their own lab or closed work environment. Presumably these are the type of people that could do a good job and thrive in places like GCHQ.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
No, not at all.
Brilliantly put and brave to do so.

Top Bottom