A good day for the Neurodiverse...especially women....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Petrichorwheels

why particularly neurodiverse WOMEN?
I thought it had long been recognised in any case that folk on the autism spectrum etc can have a particular aptitude for certain types of techie disciplines.
and would have thought that certain organisations have long recognised and tapped into this.
Is this news or just PR from bodies trying to seem "on message"?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

why particularly neurodiverse WOMEN?
I thought it had long been recognised in any case that folk on the autism spectrum etc can have a particular aptitude for certain types of techie disciplines.
and would have thought that certain organisations have long recognised and tapped into this.
Is this news or just PR from bodies trying to seem "on message"?

Nope, I think it's documented that neurodiversity differs between the sexes. Women may show stronger attributes in certain areas, however, neurodiversity is less recognised/diagnosed in Women compared to men, this is changing....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

interesting - not criticising your take - just asking - why do folks/you think this is?

That's a good question to which the answer I think is still being worked-on....
There is an assumption that our brains are wired the same and that our hormones perform similarly, that's clearly not true. But symptoms will differ and presentations vary.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had a presentation about neurodiverse people at a recent 'away day'. Funny thing that came out of it is that we should accept people as they are, and that was the genuine response from colleagues, until you realise the same colleagues really don't like cyclists and make it clear to you. Funny isn't it. :stop:

Jody

Stubborn git

I have no issue with a specific call for women as I feel acceptable reasons were given.

Petrichorwheels

We had a presentation about neurodiverse people at a recent 'away day'. Funny thing that came out of it is that we should accept people as they are, and that was the genuine response from colleagues, until you realise the same colleagues really don't like cyclists and make it clear to you. Funny isn't it. :stop:

the illiberal liberal syndrome I fear.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

The difference is that neurodiversity is something (unlike opinions) people can't change readily and it does have very significant impacts on behaviours....

Not sure where the information void is but intelligence services around the World have a long history of recruiting people of both gender who are on the spectrum. It was known phenomenon during WWII and has carried on. They have the innate ability to see and pick things that the rest of us can't.

I suspect that autism etc was never mentioned maybe because it was impolite but recruiters know who to look for. One favourite catchment pool is chess clubs.

It's the same in the private sector. Here is private company and note its name and 100% of its staff are on the spectrum. And gender plays no part.

https://auticon.com.au/projects-services/cybersecurity/

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Not sure where the information void is but intelligence services around the World have a long history of recruiting people of both gender who are on the spectrum. It was known phenomenon during WWII and has carried on. They have the innate ability to see and pick things that the rest of us can't.

I suspect that autism etc was never mentioned maybe because it was impolite but recruiters know who to look for. One favourite catchment pool is chess clubs.

It's the same in the private sector. Here is private company and note its name and 100% of its staff are on the spectrum. And gender plays no part.

https://auticon.com.au/projects-services/cybersecurity/

I would agree.
I think the difference here is that neurodiversity is being celebrated as a positive attribute, not that the rules of the game have changed per se. As if the meaning of the word 'special' has changed....

Top Bottom