A good day for the Neurodiverse...especially women....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I understand that and am sorry if my flippant comment was insensitive.

I sincerely hope that understanding who you are, and how you are will allow you to be gentle on yourself. It has taken me five years of retirement to start enjoying who I am.

No offense taken! It's a good question.
Having a diagnosis now has given me a whole new insight into my past, present and I hope future. It enables me to be who I am, but better understand how to manage that and help others to manage with me as well. Knowing what I know now (and continually learn), I no longer yearn to be normal, I want to optimise who I am.
If only I could have started that 50 years ago....
Certainly medication will help me function better. Can't wait to see how that goes!

I can really understand your retirement statement, I Hope to get there soon.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I can remember in my graduate recruitment days thirty years ago how we often interviewed people who clearly had trouble relating to other people and some everyday workplace issues but who were technically very good and able to do a good job in their own lab or closed work environment. Presumably these are the type of people that could do a good job and thrive in places like GCHQ.

An observation I made this week is that the scientists who work in analytical are very different breed to the scientists that work in R&D, even though our degrees are the same/similar.
Vive le difference!

An observation I made this week is that the scientists who work in analytical are very different breed to the scientists that work in R&D, even though our degrees are the same/similar.
Vive le difference!

Thinking back to those graduate recruitment days in the late 80s and early 90s I cannot remember ever using or coming across the terms Neurodiverse or ADHD. Things are improving.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Thinking back to those graduate recruitment days in the late 80s and early 90s I cannot remember ever using or coming across the terms Neurodiverse or ADHD. Things are improving.

Quite, I think the signs were there, just not the background understanding we have today. That's exactly why I thought the graun article to be inspiring. Many of us probably got filed under 'assorted oddball, freaky, and geeky folks' 😀

ren531

Über Member
Although not diagnosed I am certainly not neurotipicical something I realised many years ago and myself personally I prefer to be that way and have no desire to be "normal" that is not to say my journey has been easy it has not.

Quite, I think the signs were there, just not the background understanding we have today. That's exactly why I thought the graun article to be inspiring. Many of us probably got filed under 'assorted oddball, freaky, and geeky folks' 😀

download.jpeg.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Quite, I think the signs were there, just not the background understanding we have today. That's exactly why I thought the graun article to be inspiring. Many of us probably got filed under 'assorted oddball, fnd geeky folks' 😀

Not as eloquent as Fabbers, but diagnosed late 40's, it made so much sense why the past had been such a bl**dy struggle. I now try to use my strengths and quirks as an advantage.

Jameshow

Veteran
Really interesting thread helps me understand those with neurodiversity and ADHD.

Coming from a person with dyslexia and depression it's a whole different end of the spectrum and it's good to understand it!

Understanding those with autism and Asperger's has been a great help to me so as to be able support those clients.

Really we are all clients!

I just need two people to allow me to go on trips!🤣🤣🤣

tom73

Guru
Really interesting thread helps me understand those with neurodiversity and ADHD.

Coming from a person with dyslexia and depression it's a whole different end of the spectrum and it's good to understand it!

Understanding those with autism and Asperger's has been a great help to me so as to be able support those clients.

Really we are all clients!

I just need two people to allow me to go on trips!🤣🤣🤣

Well not every thing we do like to keep somethings bad it’s not a surprise otherwise :laugh:

colly

Re member eR
If ND women were over represented or the majority, then yes.
Well so far it seems neither women nor men are over represented.

It seems if any group is agitating for women to be given a 'leg up' that's just fine. A similar group advocating for men to be shoved to the front of the queue would be either totally ignored or castigated for being sexist.

Jody

Stubborn git
Well so far it seems neither women nor men are over represented.

It seems if any group is agitating for women to be given a 'leg up' that's just fine. A similar group advocating for men to be shoved to the front of the queue would be either totally ignored or castigated for being sexist.

No group is agitating. Its just a request on a job advert to see if they can hire more women.

Surely you don't have an issue with that?

Interesting.

I really struggled to cope with a colleague who just couldn't be still or quiet until he told me he had a diagnosis of ADHD. Suddenly I understood a bit better, and felt able to tell him I need quiet to work effectively. It made it much easier to just say what we needed.

Shame we couldn't have done that earlier without labels being needed.

There's a difference between a Label and a diagnosis; a "Label" is a superficial classification, usually made about a group, whereas a diagnosis is applied to an individual, usually after some considerable observation, and gives us a context to view a certain behaviour.

colly

Re member eR
No group is agitating. Its just a request on a job advert to see if they can hire more women.

Surely you don't have an issue with that?

Hire more women ?

So an ad reads MEN required for intellegence work. You would be happy with that?

Funny thing then that I though discrimination of the grounds of gender was in fact not legal. Maybe have that wrong.

TBH I really don't give too hoots because it's an article out of The Grauniad, but yes a group called Code First Girls are agitating. They work with GCHQ and BAE Systems apparently.

Surely ALL recruitment for ANY post should be totally gender non-specific.

Hire more women ?

So an ad reads MEN required for intellegence work. You would be happy with that?

Funny thing then that I though discrimination of the grounds of gender was in fact not legal. Maybe have that wrong.

TBH I really don't give too hoots because it's an article out of The Grauniad, but yes a group called Code First Girls are agitating. They work with GCHQ and BAE Systems apparently.

Surely ALL recruitment for ANY post should be totally gender non-specific.

I think there are circumstances where it is allowed, at least here. I've been turned down for a job because they needed a woman, but that was in a residential psych care clinic and they needed 1male and 1 female workshop leader. Just my luck it was the woman retiring...

That said, you only need to look at the reactions to International Men's Day to see that the reverse would not be seen in the same positive light.

Top Bottom