A good Multi-Tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_0548.JPG

The smallest tool kit in the world - shown bigger than actual size (depending on your monitor).
Finish Line Chain Pup. Formerly the lightest production chain tool on the planet until I took a hacksaw to and a file to it.. Yes it works.

IMG_0550.JPG

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have the pictured Crank Bros tool. I like it, it's well made and has a fair amount of stuff on it.

It's fine if your bike has QD wheels.

If you need to replace an inner tube on a bike without QD wheels it has no 15mm spanner, so you won't get the wheels off.

I was riding my BSO with baby seat on a family holiday in France in August.

My chain ended up falling & jamming between the freewheel and the spokes. A gripshi(f)t adjustment failure..

The quick-detachable link in the chain was, in full accordance with sod's law, the part which got stuck. I carried the bike a mile back to camp where I had a spanner set, and then had to take the wheel off to pull the chain out of its predicament. Thankfully my daughter was not in the child seat at the time. If I had been further away I would have probably used the Crank Bros tool to undo the chain & free it.

I also have a canyon multitool which I carry on family bike trips, which has a 15mm spanner.

Gordonski

Hi guys, can anybody recommend a really good multitool, one that does carry a chain splitter that actually works, there does seem to be so many out there it is difficult to make a decision without knowing somebody that has used one.

Chris
I'm 58 and ride a Brompton these days, but I still carry a "Cool Tool" from the 90s when I was a bit more energetic riding a mountain bike off road or a hybrid for a bit of both. The Cool Tool was a surprisingly good birthday present searched out by my sister (I think she just thought the name was amusing) which has stayed with me for 20 plus years because it's very effective. For more information, copy and paste gerber cool tool for bicycle into google for further info and google images, and there's an article about it on multitool.org. I don't know if Gerber still make them, if not your best chance may be on auction sites... good luck.

Teuchter

Über Member
I'm 58 and ride a Brompton these days, but I still carry a "Cool Tool" from the 90s when I was a bit more energetic riding a mountain bike off road or a hybrid for a bit of both. The Cool Tool was a surprisingly good birthday present searched out by my sister (I think she just thought the name was amusing) which has stayed with me for 20 plus years because it's very effective. For more information, copy and paste gerber cool tool for bicycle into google for further info and google images, and there's an article about it on multitool.org. I don't know if Gerber still make them, if not your best chance may be on auction sites... good luck.
That does indeed look cool. Will have to investigate further.

Another Crank Brothers tool (M19) vote here. Got it mainly for the chain splitter after a derailleur hanger broke and threw the derailleur into my spokes of my Allez. I had a long walk home but could have made it rideable to get home if I'd have been able to cut out the mangled section of the chain and temporarily turn the bike into a single speed.

I also carry a stubby adjustable spanner for wheel and brake nuts on my older bikes and fixed gear. I do however need to get a nicer quality one.

I occasionally carry an old Leatherman Wave in my panniers too.

And disposable gloves.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If you want pretty, you want Lezyne.

I finally looked, and now I've just bought a Lezyne V-5 Multi Tool. Not for cycling, just for life. I now will have a Leatherman in one pocket and a Lezyne V-5 Multi Tool in the other.

Come at me life, I'm ready for ya!

I should add that I work for an engineering firm and I'm forever on the hunt for an allen key! I just found out the engineers all own their own tools so I feel a bit bad about borrowing them now!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Recently bought one of these, lovely to use (you can remove the allen key and use the one on your multi tool)
p_1342435028422.png

Its a Birzman, Tredz £5.99. I also have one of those tiny Topeak Multi Tools, but bought another from Planet X recently to go with the above chain tool in my Winter bike tool pack. I needed one with an 8mm allen adapter for my Keos. Anyone know if/where you can get those little 8mm Allen adapters that fit on a 6mm key? I searched the entire internet, but could not find them separate from multi tools. If I could get one I would use it with the tiny Topeak tool and Park Tool chain splitter in my other kit

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No idea. But a Topeak X Tool costs £10 and has one and I'm betting Bikehut/Lidl/Aldi multitools have 'em too and are cheaper

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The Planet X Phaart 10 in 1 (£4.49) does have an 8mm adapter. Seems good quality for the price too. Just surprised that I couldn't find one available separately anywhere :sad:. (But for Weight Weenies it is actually heavier than the Topeak Mini plus a seperate 8mm allen key, but then you do get a couple more bits).
TOPHMICRO-10-BLK_P1.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
Hi guys, can anybody recommend a really good multitool, one that does carry a chain splitter that actually works, there does seem to be so many out there it is difficult to make a decision without knowing somebody that has used one.

Chris
Topeak Mini 18+
£18 if you shop about

Top Bottom