A good tip if your pizza is soggy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have said previously, we normally buy a basic pizza and add ingredients eg mushroom/onion etc.
Yesterdays offering was very tasty but sadly quite soggy.
When I googled it, a tip was to, let it cool down, heat a skillet to medium and put slices on as required.....for just a few minutes.
WoW......it became lovely and crispy.
Exellent idea for heating it up next day.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I find that a soggy bottom is cured by placing it on the rack in the oven, not on a tray..

NB: Works with pizza, too!

johnblack

Über Member
Cook it in the oven on a pre-heated pizza stone, never an issue.

But on the subject of pizza's in the frying pan, you can make a very basic pizza dough (self raising flour, water, salt, bit of oil), fry in a pan then add your toppings and finish under the grill.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't even own a pizza.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
A cheaper and more universal option than a pizza stone is usually already found in the most of the households. Aluminium baking tray has much higher thermal conductivity than ceramic or steel so if you crank up the oven to 11 with your alu tray, then put your pizza on it you will avoid saggy bottom pizza.
Works a treat with other things as well, better spuds, better pastry etc
Steel has its uses but if high heat is what you are after (and home pizza needs all of it since you will never be able replicate 400c of real oven) alu is a better choice
(Had a friend who lined up his oven with bricks, heat was so high it was melting furniture around:laugh:

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I cook my pizza (homemade, or shop bought) on a wire rack.
Not had a soggy bottom in years!

figbat

Slippery scientist
A cheaper and more universal option than a pizza stone is usually already found in the most of the households. Aluminium baking tray has much higher thermal conductivity than ceramic or steel so if you crank up the oven to 11 with your alu tray, then put your pizza on it you will avoid saggy bottom pizza.
Works a treat with other things as well, better spuds, better pastry etc
Steel has its uses but if high heat is what you are after (and home pizza needs all of it since you will never be able replicate 400c of real oven) alu is a better choice
(Had a friend who lined up his oven with bricks, heat was so high it was melting furniture around:laugh:
A pizza stone offers a couple of benefits:
  • Thermal mass - not only about conducting heat to the pizza but also about maintaining heat within the oven; as a huge thermal mass it means less thermal fluctuation within the oven
  • Moisture control - the stone absorbs moisture as well as providing heat

Eziemnaik

Über Member
It does
Never said it doesn't
However
Since one heating is more than enough to crispy up pizza, unless you are doing batches of these alu sheet is usually enough
Also, again it is cheaper and more readily available?

Top Bottom