A Grand Don't Come for Free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nikolai420

Hello,

I'm new to CC and this is my frist post. Signing up to the Ride2Work scheme in November and need some advice on what to get. I commute to work 3/4 times a week. Distance is 24km round trip. Shepherds Bush to St.Pauls along central line.

Been looking at the sport hybrid bikes but people are telling me to go full road bike. This is probably a frequent post but advice would be great all the same. Have maximum of a grand bearing in mind 2010 bikes are coming out soon.

If you had a grand what would you get?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
im in the same spot, round trip per day is just 27miles and i commute 5 days a week on a hybrid. going on the C2W scheme in october with a grand and will be getting a road bike. no doubt about it. better riding position and lighter bike will give me a better ride in. and hopefully i can up my millage on the weekends.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hello Nicolia...and welcome.

I would suspect you are about to get a selection of opinions from herre (which is what I guess you wanted).

For my tuppance worth, I would say that given the distance you plan to cover I would go for a Hybrid bike, I prefer the positioning (being upright with a good clear view of the road) and also prefer the whole geometry for riding in traffic (any required swerveing etc)

Its possible to spend a lot less on a bike to perform that duty/distance so shop around.

good luck

Jonny

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I am after one of these next:

CANNONDALE Synapse 105 Triple £1149.00

5606-16819-main-9ras1t_bbq-70.jpg

or CANNONDALE Synapse Tiagra Triple £949.00

5607-16831-main-9ras1t_bbq-70.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All depends upon the type of riding you will want it for. If you fancy a few tracks and mild off road, then a hybrid.

I went for a fixed wheel road bike on the scheme...which is the 'other end' of the scale really.

Brains

Legendary Member
I would suggest a hybrid commuter bike. For London use you need flat bars, mudguards, a decent rack, panniers and a good set of lights, and remember a decent 'gold standard' D lock and cable should not leave any change from £60.
I would also strongly suggest a rear triangle kick stand, upgrade the saddle, and look into SDP pedals

fossyant said:
All depends upon the type of riding you will want it for. If you fancy a few tracks and mild off road, then a hybrid.

I went for a fixed wheel road bike on the scheme...which is the 'other end' of the scale really.

Good advice. Think about what type of cycling you will be doing, and then decide. £1000 is a lot to spend on the wrong bike. But if you have the money and you get bitten by the bug you could always buy a roadie later.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Brains said:
I would suggest a hybrid commuter bike. For London use you need flat bars, mudguards, a decent rack, panniers and a good set of lights, and remember a decent 'gold standard' D lock and cable should not leave any change from £60.
I would also strongly suggest a rear triangle kick stand, upgrade the saddle, and look into SDP pedals
most of the above is down to opinon, as i already said i have a hybrid and i want a roadie. i cycle in london and see no pros of hybrid over roadie. and a triangle kick stand? don't see many of those around.

Brains

Legendary Member
gaz said:
triangle kick stand? don't see many of those around.

Odd that isn't it
I have one and it's used every day
It would be so annoying to have a bike without one

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nothing wrong with a road bike, I think you'd prefer having drops to flat bars. They work better and have more hand positions, though clearly not everyone agrees.

Tynan

Veteran
ahem

fratello

comfy relaxed road bike, takes guards and rack (nice ones) and steel and carbon to soak up the buzz

you do not need flat bars for London, drops is good for headwinds and tanking along when it suits, hoods for when you want to be upright

I spent "only" £850 on a bike, lock & cable, shorts, lights and gloves under a CTW scheme two months ago. By now, I've spent a further £80 on other accessories (undershorts, seat pack, pump, spare tubes etc), and I'll need to get some more clothing for the autumn & winter weather. I wish I had bought these at the same time, for the CTW tax savings.

So my tip: ANY cycle (clothing) accessory you expect to buy within a year or so, try to lump it into the CTW scheme right now if you haven't exhausted the full £1,000. Don't leave budget unused only to buy the stuff at a later stage without tax savings.

Archie

Errrr.....
My tip would be use some of your budget to get a track pump. Keeping tyres at the right pressure creates a virtuous circle as your more likely to use the bike because it lessens rolling resistance and the risk of punctures. Simply top up the pressure once a week and job's a good 'un. Easy with a track pump, but if you don't have one the risk is you'll not bother and as a result have a less pleasant ride at best, or p*nct*re at worst.

Top Bottom