A guide to ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The speedometer on my Scott e-bike (Brose motor) gives a reading of 16 MPH before the motor cuts out. The trouble is that this speed is soon got used to and doesn't seem fast enough. I thought about overcoming the restriction but decided against it. I have some third-party insurance and I expect this would be void if I caused an accident and the bike was found to have been modified.

Another thing I found recently is just how much harder work it is to keep up a constant 16 MPH on an ordinary pedal bike. If ever that 16 MPH doesn't seem fast enough, try going back to pure pedal power for a while. It made me appreciate just how much assistance the motor on the e-bike is giving and also made 16 MPH seem quite fast. :smile:

It's not really 'quite fast' - I (try to) ride with the club slower training group on a traffic free circuit. It is more to do with bike handling and riding in a group than speed, the slow group, for younger, less experienced and older riders. I used to ride regularly on an unassisted bike before vascular disease began to affect my leg muscles - and I bought an Orbea Gain. Now on the Gain I'm lucky if I can stay with the group for even 1 lap - we were travelling at 33kph within half a lap this week, so an ebike is giving NO assistance whatsoever - the opposite being true as even the Gain is a heavy lump to push at higher speeds. I'm not boasting - It all depends what you are used to - our club leisure rides drift up well over 15.5mph without really trying. I'd find a cut off of 20mph much more helpful.

I could pull a dog trailer (14kgs) with my dog (20kgs) 12 miles there and 12 miles back using my Thorn or my Santos.
I could pull my cargo trailer (12kgs) full of firewood various distances using my Thorn or my Santos.
But I would rather cheat and use a car. If only I had one. Instead I use my kalkhoff ebike because I am not a cheat.

Exactly what I found, soon get used to it, and don’t realise how much assistance you are getting. Interesting, you’ve got a Scott ebike, we’ve ordered two, but, they will have Shimano Steps units, looking forward to seeing how they perform. Just as an aside, did deristrict two retrofit kits years ago, and very pleasantly surprised how they felt with a bit of ‘extra’
Never struggle and use power assist on the flat no matter what weight I am pulling once I am at 8miles an hour with assistance. Obviously I have to use assistance to reach that speed. BUT this only applies if I use the kalkhoff irregularly if I use it 2 or 3 days on the trot I find myself using assistance more and more......and needing it!
Or do I? Is it making me lazy?

Last edited:
Haven't I read that changing the rear sprocket on an ebike can result in the bike reaching higher speeds while still using assistance? I am nearly certain I read it about the kalkhoff ebike.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Haven't I read that changing the rear sprocket on an ebike can result in the bike reaching higher speeds while still using assistance? I am nearly certain I read it about the kalkhoff ebike.

Most systems calculate speed by means of a spoke magnet that counts wheel revolutions.

Sprocket sizes and gearing are irrelevant.

virtually all e-assist use and external wheel sensor or and internal sensor .
fooling a unit by using an incorrect ( smaller ) wheel size will increase the top speed but the speedo will be incorrect.
I have seen someone fitting a 2-1 reduction on a rear hub to increase speed . I personally would fiddle the internal software and increase the cut off speed.

regards Emma

virtually all e-assist use and external wheel sensor or and internal sensor .
fooling a unit by using an incorrect ( smaller ) wheel size will increase the top speed but the speedo will be incorrect.
I have seen someone fitting a 2-1 reduction on a rear hub to increase speed . I personally would fiddle the internal software and increase the cut off speed.

regards Emma
I am afraid I only use my power assist bike for pulling trailers the dog or wood. Heavy braking at higher speeds tends to lead to the trailer overtaking the bike. The dog definitely does not appreciate it! So low speeds for me and therefore no need for it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Heavy braking at higher speeds tends to lead to the trailer overtaking the bike.
Is this an issue that quite a few people experience, just thinking is a braked trailer a requirement or is it just complicating things? It would be fairly easy to design.

Is this an issue that quite a few people experience, just thinking is a braked trailer a requirement or is it just complicating things? It would be fairly easy to design.
I think that is just complicating things. No idea how you would do it. I will stick with 8 miles an hour. If pulling wood that is the dogs slow jog speed.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think that is just complicating things. No idea how you would do it. I will stick with 8 miles an hour. If pulling wood that is the dogs slow jog speed.
It would be quite simple really with an hydraulic hitch & hydraulic brakes, much easier if it wasn't a folding trailer but still possible.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had a thought on the way home. if e bikes really take off i wonder if you could see charging points at work/ shopping centres etc ?

On holiday in Italy last year, we stopped in Cortina d’Ampezzo during a day trip to the Dolomites. Lots of electric bikes there and a charging point (suitable for bikes and cars) available outside the LBS.

8611DD2A-64CA-4708-A0E5-8F5BE7A0F3B2.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
taking to a group of e bike riders yesterday that turned up for the closed cake stop at the same time , really nice chunky full sussers £4500 ! for riding on the road .
The eldest was in his 90s on a hybrid e bike , i can see the use for him but to me it seemed the others were carting a lot of weight to overcome the extra weight of a mtb on the road

Top Bottom