A hillyish Hebden Bridge to Waddington forum ride, Sun 20th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Get well soon Paul, and ask your boss nicely if you can have alternate Sundays off! ;)

Gordon - you'd be welcome to join us. Shaun (bromptonfb) usually rides over from Love Clough (above Rawtenstall). Perhaps you could meet up with him on the way and ride here together?

Slight Change of Plan!

I'd like to try an alternative route through Padiham on the way back - the Padiham Greenway. It is a cycle path taking the route of the former freight line round the edge of Padiham. It comes out near Rose Grove station below the lights on the A646 at the bottom of Rossendale Road. I've modified the map on Bikely to feature the Greenway.

(I'm not sure if that is what you were telling me about on the last ride Shaun?)

potsy

Rambler
hi, no problems, but we never leave anyone behind so don't worry. mind you, you'd have to be really slow not to pass potsy...
whistling.gif

Oi I'll have you know I've been in full training for this ride, Colin will be back marker almost certainly :tongue:
Dave- is that your cat?

No Dan, but it's what I would look like if I was a cat :thumbsup:
You getting out for this? Or the Blackpool one?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin, what time do you think you'll be at Spring Wood? I'm back and although I'm planning a short hard ride Saturday or Sunday morning with my riding buddy, I might be able to join you later at Spring Wood and ride with you to Waddington.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, what time do you think you'll be at Spring Wood? I'm back and although I'm planning a short hard ride Saturday or Sunday morning with my riding buddy, I might be able to join you later at Spring Wood and ride with you to Waddington.
I don't think it will be far off noon, assuming that we don't have any mechanical problems. We will be riding at a leisurely pace up the hills and there are quite a few of them via Widdop.

I'm pretty big at the moment and have only ridden 235 miles so far in 2011 so I can't even climb at the speed I was doing last year. Still, I'm only 6/7 as overweight as I was on Jan 1st so at least it's heading in the right direction.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I came out of January feeling distinctly podgy after all the chocolates and booze. Went to SA for a business trip and stopped eating carbohydrates, sticking with just fish or meat and salads. No rice, chips or pasta. Even though I was drinking a bottle or two of a "light" lager every night the weight dropped off me and my trouser waistband now feels nice and slack.

Oops - I'm getting mixed up too!

Yes, I can see that Steve H said he is coming a few posts back. I'm not sure about SlowerThanASluggishSloth though - wasn't that for the century ride on the 27th?

Mike (STASS) - are you planning to join us on Sunday?

Shaun - did you get over your migraine in time to do your 200?

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier, Colin.

Yes, please, I would like to join you on Sunday. I've been hanging back because I had agreed in principle to be elsewhere this week-end but it's not going to happen now, so if you'll have me, I'm up for it (with 'up' being the right word, apparently!) :sad:

potsy

Rambler
So, that's Colinj, myself, slothy Mike, and big Steve competing for last place then? Maybe Shaun on his Brommy?

Watched the Hebden 'Britain by Bike' episode tonight too, very interesting.
I like Claire Balding even more now, and she says it's OK to walk up some of those hills so I will :tongue:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
So, that's Colinj, myself, slothy Mike, and big Steve competing for last place then? Maybe Shaun on his Brommy?

Watched the Hebden 'Britain by Bike' episode tonight too, very interesting.
I like Claire Balding even more now, and she says it's OK to walk up some of those hills so I will :tongue:

no chance, got some racy slicks on and i've just serviced the hub......
tongue.gif

Steve H

Large Member
I've been eating and drinking way too much this week. Think I'm going to pay the price this weekend with those hills!

Just watched the Clare Balding thing on the iPlayer. I saw the bit where she said it's ok to walk on the hills - but then she proceeded to walk 'down' a hill. Now that is just weird. Ok it was a bit cobbled, but if I've managed to get to the top of a hill no one is taking away the riding down from me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was watching the Clare Balding Cycling programme this evening because she was starting in Hebden Bridge. It looks a lovely area.
I saw the programme the first time round and enjoyed it. CB pretty much followed my Trauma of Trawden route which bromptonfb, potsy and I rode as a forum ride in poor weather conditions recently.

I did a 9 mile local walk along part of the Pennine Way this afternoon and the countryside was looking particularly nice under blue skies. (Bit of a cold wind 'on the tops' though!)

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier, Colin.

Yes, please, I would like to join you on Sunday. I've been hanging back because I had agreed in principle to be elsewhere this week-end but it's not going to happen now, so if you'll have me, I'm up for it (with 'up' being the right word, apparently!) :sad:
I'll add you to the list!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm afraid I've been beer-loading this week! :blush: Not as bad as it used to be - still 3 or 4 nights off the beer this week depending what happens over the weekend, but I'm over my quota. I'll try harder next week!

Top Bottom