A hillyish Hebden Bridge to Waddington forum ride, Sun 20th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well folks, it's nearly time for another of our kinda-monthly Hebden Bridge to Waddington forum rides!

As promised on the last one, this time we will take advantage of the (hopefully!) improving weather conditions and ride out to Spring Wood, Whalley the scenic way 'over the tops' via Widdop, Fence and Sabden. We will come back by the same valley roads as the first two Waddington rides of 2011.

Here's the route on Bikely.

Total distance will be 57 miles. We'll have a quick stop at Spring Wood picnic centre after 21 miles for bladder-emptying & bottle-filling; hopefully, completely separate activities!

There will be a good cafe stop at Country Kitchen, Waddington after 28.5 miles.

We'll do the usual scenic Old Roman Road to Read to avoid the nasty Devil's Elbow on the A671. I might go and check out the Padiham Greenway which potentially gives us a nicer route through the village (town?), otherwise the route will be exactly as shown on the Bikely map.

It's not a ride for beginners, but we will be riding slowly and we will wait for the slowest rider. Potsy and I are usually competing for the title of Lanterne Rouge, but my all means ... Come and have ago if you think you're slow enough!

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 (Map showing car park). It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - parking wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay to at least 16:30! If you are really tight and/or skint (;)), you can usually find a free spot to park on the A646 on the Halifax side of Hebden Bridge near the road to Hebden Bridge station.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right (not the first little one, the bigger one further on).

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

Riding:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • potsy
  • Pennine-Paul (ill and working!)
  • Steve H
  • Svendo (will catch us up if he's late setting off)
  • OldnSlow
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth
Who else is up for it?

Count me in :biggrin:

Svendo

Guru
I'm coming, if the weather isn't totally sh-tty. I may well do the same thing of catching you up by not making the start time. I've got the GPX and know the route anyway.
You'll be able to admire my now mismatched wheels!
Looking forward to eating at Waddington's Country Kitchen without rushing as I'll not be on an Audax. I know Audaxes aren't races but you know how it is...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Count me in :biggrin:
Added to list!

I'm coming, if the weather isn't totally sh-tty. I may well do the same thing of catching you up by not making the start time. I've got the GPX and know the route anyway.
You'll be able to admire my now mismatched wheels!

Looking forward to eating at Waddington's Country Kitchen without rushing as I'll not be on an Audax. I know Audaxes aren't races but you know how it is...:rolleyes:
Gotcha - you know where to find us, and how to catch us!

I assume that you will buy a matching replacement wheel once you get the insurance money from the accident?

Svendo

Guru
Gotcha - you know where to find us, and how to catch us!

I assume that you will buy a matching replacement wheel once you get the insurance money from the accident?

If only it were that simple!

Can't buy American Classic front wheel only, so do I replace the Aero 420 set and have a redundant rear wheel?
Get the Sprint 350 wheelset and have an aero rear and light weight front, and a rear to go on the commuter?
Do I get a front wheel by itself, but it'll compliment rather than match the rear aero 420?
Or do I just put the money towards a new wheelset, Dura Ace laminates for instance?

This sort of Dilemma I like!

potsy

Rambler
Don't think there's too much competition for last place Col
biggrin.gif

Am quite worried by the 'not for beginners' comment though, if this is as hilly as Trawden then I'm in trouble already
ohmy.gif

potsy

Rambler
Didnt you get an extra couple of inches though potsy?
thumbsup.png

In theory Garz, might not be enough
biggrin.gif

I'm in! And will be pretending very hard not to be a beginner.

I'll get the pie ordered then :tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't think there's too much competition for last place Col
biggrin.gif

Am quite worried by the 'not for beginners' comment though, if this is as hilly as Trawden then I'm in trouble already
ohmy.gif
Well, given that we start climbing a tough hill within a quarter of a mile of leaving the car park, I thought it was only fair to mention it! Think of it as equivalent to a slightly flattened version of that Trawden route, significantly stretched-out! ;)

Didnt you get an extra couple of inches though potsy?
thumbsup.png
To be accurate, potsy has disposed of a few inches climbing gear-wise!

I'm in! And will be pretending very hard not to be a beginner.
You'll be ok! (-ish :whistle: )

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Out for this one folks, got the parents coming up! (yikes!)
Make sure you hide the evidence! :rolleyes:

Oh well, get to work on colly for the seaside century ride on the 27th. It would be great to see him again and also, you'd need a lift to get to the start on time - it is 20 miles from Hebden Bridge!

potsy

Rambler
Well, given that we start climbing a tough hill within a quarter of a mile of leaving the car park, I thought it was only fair to mention it! Think of it as equivalent to a slightly flattened version of that Trawden route, significantly stretched-out! ;)

Mmm that's eased my fears
wacko.gif

At least I know I'll be fine on the homeward leg, it's the unknown 'hilly' bit that's worrying me
biggrin.gif

Need to sort my gears out before Sunday, for some reason they are slipping a bit when on the 28t and the biggest 2 or 3 sprockets, think the indexing needs adjusting a bit. New chain/cassette and ring so nothing can be worn out.

Top Bottom