A Home Security Question (sensible) opinions wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some time ago my attatched garage was broken into. Its a pitched roof. They removed tiles and broke through the ceiling. They then opened the electric door and walked off with my bikes
Everything is now doubly secured eg ceiling is reinforced, bike is securely locked and I have an internal lock on the door.
HOWEVER..... .last night some scrotes tried to force the door using a 4 foot wrecking bar. They had no success but damaged the door mechanism.
So...........to deter another attempt........
I could add a BIG external lock
OR
A BIG sign to the affect "this door has an internal padlock".
NB.
The INTERNAL lock is so I can enter the garage from the house, open the door, drive out and close the door with the remote.
Opinions appreciated.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some kind of peemiter alarm on your property so you've been made aware of their presence before they even get to your garage - it should be defence in depth, and your garage should be the final redout, not the sole line of defence. I've got IR fingers and motion sensitive CCTV with an alarm, so I know about it the moment they're on my land, never mind anywhere near the buildings. The latter pings Mrs D's mobile phone too so she gets an alert and can dial into the cameras with an app - every week she watches me take the bins out from her desk at work

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some kind of peemiter alarm on your property so you've been made aware of their presence before they even get to your garage - it should be defence in depth, and your garage should be the final redout, not the sole line of defence. I've got IR fingers and motion sensitive CCTV with an alarm, so I know about it the moment they're on my land, never mind anywhere near the buildings. The latter pings Mrs D's mobile phone too so she gets an alert and can dial into the cameras with an app - every week she watches me take the bins out from her desk at work
Does it not activate when cats, dogs or foxes go past??

Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
1579623398006.png

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is the area lit ?
It is BUT....I have a problem with the electrics to those lights. That will be rectified shortly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My options are additional locks.

Enfield locks are discrete and can be operated either side. Basically like a deadlock and prevent them pealing the doors back.

CCTV or IP camera with alerts.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My options are additional locks.

Enfield locks are discrete and can be operated either side. Basically like a deadlock and prevent them pealing the doors back.

CCTV or IP camera with alerts.
Enfield locks?? Not heard of them. I will google it.

Top Bottom