A Home Security Question (sensible) opinions wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why? Do dogs with one testicle make good guard dogs?
Dogs that are so scary-looking that you wouldn't hang about long enough to actually count their testicles certainly do! :laugh:

Tony Martin preferred to do without the warning sign.
Indeed, and he only had to serve 3 years in jail, and go into hiding once released because he has a 'bounty' on his head... :whistle:

Seevio

Guru
Get an alarm thats hooked up to a really powerful brown note generator.

D

Deleted member 26715

To try to get back to sensibility it is very difficult, they didn't get in so what you have done has worked, deterrents are difficult as the scum these days don't care, they are happy to ignore CCTV, they just wear hoodies which make them ineffective. If it was me I would accept the fact they are going to try, I would get the lighting sorted, but then again they will often just have a big stick & knock them out of the way. Around here one of the favourite ways is to use a battery grinder & cut hole in the garage door to open it.

You have 2 alternatives try to keep them out or accept they will get in & deal with it at this point, I'd be buying an alarm with PIR's in the garage & have them wired to one or two Klaxon Master Blaster https://www.powersaver.co.uk/master...ery-loud-127db-outside-sounder-for-alarm.html

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My solution is decent lights on PIRs, a couple of cameras, one outside and one hidden inside the garage. I also have a top notch security door. Best of all - my house insurance. If the buggers really want to get in and take my bikes, I get new ones.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My options are additional locks.

Enfield locks are discrete and can be operated either side. Basically like a deadlock and prevent them pealing the doors back.

CCTV or IP camera with alerts.
Ive looked at them now, they look very good.
One of the problems is......being an electric up&over there is no visible lock/handle so it looks like a simple job to lever it open.
I need something to deter people from trying. Something that says DONT BOTHER TRYING but is simple for me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Go live somewhere with a low crime rate which I admit is probably not what you want to hear.
Any spare rooms at your place ^_^.
We love this house. It backs on to a country park (nice but obvious problems).
Its the last house in a close, before the park entrance (nice but obvious problems).
Some decent cycling on minor roads direct from the house.
So......they will possibly carry me out in a box. Its a question of beating the b*stards.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry @Dave7 they went for the roller door, I thought you meant a side door, all you can do is try to deter them & make them think somebody else will be an easier target. Lights & CCTV are the obvious or a notice on the brick stating that there are internal locks fitted.

D

Deleted member 26715

@Dave7 Just thinking slightly different tact, do you use the garage for anything else other than storage? if not would it cause any issue to have a 50mm angle iron bolted to the floor in front of the garage door & then another at the back of the door. You have to have the 2nd one otherwise they can use the front to lever the door.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@Dave 7 you do appear to have quite a desirable residence, pity about the intruders but I suppose no worse really than many other places. I have relatives near Glasgow in a similar situation. I am spoiled since I leave bikes often in a poly tunnel, my garden shed has no lock and many people leave their house doors unlocked. There was a report of suspected intruders nearby recently and they were seen and tracked by locals until stopped by police. Turned out to be confused and lost French tourists in a hire car but the unofficial system seems to work.
It has often been said that most Highlanders have binoculars as a hobby. Nothing goes unnoticed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One of the problems is......being an electric up&over there is no visible lock/handle so it looks like a simple job to lever it open.
I need something to deter people from trying. Something that says DONT BOTHER TRYING but is simple for me.

With these there will be two slightly visible coach bolts and the key hole at each side of the door - not enough to stand out from the road, but they will soon know when they put a crowbar near the edge.

si_c

Guru
The simplest solution if it's an up and over is to park your car right up at the door so it blocks the action. Not helpful though if you wish to keep the car in the garage.

A loud motion activated alarm and lights is going to be your next best bet.

classic33

Leg End Member
IMG_20200122_133728.jpg

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sorry @Dave7 they went for the roller door, I thought you meant a side door, all you can do is try to deter them & make them think somebody else will be an easier target. Lights & CCTV are the obvious or a notice on the brick stating that there are internal locks fitted.
Got you. Its an up&over but the same principle. Its attached to the house so the side door leads into the house.

Top Bottom