A interesting article about clubs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Very interesting, and making me feel bad for only joining my local club for a year, back in 2009. I did a fair few group rides but then I was scheduled to help on a TT and I couldn't do it. I was happy to do my bit but alas it was all take and no give. I might join again when I can commit more time.

fimm

Veteran
A triathlete writes: not all triathlons are organised by big event companies. The club I'm a member of runs two, and members are pretty much expected not to race but to marshal. (If you do want to race, then you're encouraged to find a friend to fill your marshalling spot!)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not a single mention of freewheeling cycling clubs and I'm particularly amused by a member of a certain club with a bad reputation for dangerous racing in non-competitive events describing themselves as "one of the best in the country". A very disappointing article showing only one aspect of cycling society, but maybe that website is racing-only :scratch:

Even so, it's nice to see that at least one racing club has realised training is a valid safety improvement measure, rather than the clothing that most insist upon.

outlash

also available in orange
Interesting reading. TBH, my local CC is very much centred around racing & TT's and the faster/longer club runs regularly turn into a free for all. Saying that, if the mainstream cycling media wasn't so fixated on 'competing' every ride no matter what it is (and advertisers selling the respective kit) then people's attitudes might change.

screenman

Legendary Member
My club has 150+++ members and over 300 ride outs each week that others are welcome to join in on of varying speeds and distances. As well as that we run about 30TT a year, road races, cyclo-cross, sportives and audaxes. People are encouraged to help out but it will always be a core number who do the most.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In our club we have noticed the influx of riders due to the TDF 'Wiggo' effect, and 2012., and many of the comments ring true. The leisure rides used to attract a group of around 12 maximum but around 2 years ago numbers began to increase dramatically, and 20 plus became the norm, and the standard of riding suffered.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We do seem to have a lot of girls joining the club in the last couple of years, They are very competitive giving a lot of guys a run for there money, And really enjoying the racing and TTs. Also joining in with the beer drinking social side. and organizing a few bits and pieces. Where the last club i was involved with did not encourage the girls at all. So a big thumbs up for. http://forum.cc-london.com/conversations/256630/:okay:

lutonloony

Über Member
Some of the other links were interesting, I got quite tired just watching the squats

Lee_M

Guru
so it's only real cycling if your club races then?

glad I ride with people who think otherwise.

festival

Über Member
I agree generally with the comments in the article, the Surrey league (of whom I had a long association) have an abundance of know how about cycling not just racing within its members.
As the sport (competitive and otherwise) has grown so has the mix of attitudes and personalities and not always for the best.
Believe me there have always been some self-gratification artists in cycling clubs but now there's a lot of fit people who ride bikes and think they know it all but don't, but on the whole the sport has a lot more to offer for everyone nowadays.
Its a shame if historic clubs like Redhill lose old members due to the evolution that's going on but I'm sure it will be for the benefit of 'Cycling' in the long run.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
so it's only real cycling if your club races then?

glad I ride with people who think otherwise.
Easy tiger . I think the point was that when putting on a race you need people to help out . You don't need marshals , traffic counts , HQ booked , police notifications , tea makers and cake bakers for a club run with a coffee stop . You do for a race .

Lee_M

Guru
Easy tiger . I think the point was that when putting on a race you need people to help out . You don't need marshals , traffic counts , HQ booked , police notifications , tea makers and cake bakers for a club run with a coffee stop . You do for a race .

yep i understand, but not everyone joins a club to race, so personally don't think everyone should be expected to help out those that do. otherwise maybe the racers could turn out to fetch cake and coffee for the cruisers? :-)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
yep i understand, but not everyone joins a club to race, so personally don't think everyone should be expected to help out those that do. otherwise maybe the racers could turn out to fetch cake and coffee for the cruisers? :-)
They probably already organize your cruise and lead the group , dropping back to help out those that cant keep up aswell as buying you coffee , cake or a beer .
It's up to you what you do for your club .

Top Bottom