A interesting article about clubs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
They probably already organize your cruise and lead the group , dropping back to help out those that cant keep up aswell as buying you coffee , cake or a beer .
It's up to you what you do for your club .

actually in my club i AM one of those who organises rides, drops back to help others and buys coffee and cake. I'm just not a racer (and we generally aren't a racing club), but my previous club was, which was why I left.

I'm not saying being a racing club is wrong, but was just commenting on the superior assumption in the article that if you aren't a racer and don't turn out to stand in the rain to point people the right way then you aren't a cyclist and shouldn't be in a club

Reactions: mjr

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
actually in my club i AM one of those who organises rides, drops back to help others and buys coffee and cake. I'm just not a racer (and we generally aren't a racing club), but my previous club was, which was why I left.

I'm not saying being a racing club is wrong, but was just commenting on the superior assumption in the article that if you aren't a racer and don't turn out to stand in the rain to point people the right way then you aren't a cyclist and shouldn't be in a club
That's not how i read it . The article is saying pretty much what you are saying .
Clubs earn their money from putting on events and that's what keeps the club running . If there are no events then there is no money and no club to go on a social ride with . Just wanting to wear the club kit and go on the social rides without helping with events is a bit like going to the pub with your mates all the time but never getting a round in , isn't it ?

Firestorm

Veteran
I think the difference between racing and non racing clubs is a throwback to the old licencing days
Iirc you used to be only allowed to race if you were affiliated to the correct federation, its name secapes me. And the ctc did not allow a club to be in any other organisation. Hence touring clubs being seperate

Not disimilar to running in the 80s when you could only enter events if you were an athletic club member affiliated to the AAA. Jogging clubs didnt affiliate and there was a brief period of "snobbery"

screenman

Legendary Member
I belong to a club that organizes 40 races a year, there are about 200 members but only about 40 race, some of those not often.

Ask what you can do for the club, not what can the club do for you.

Lee_M

Guru
I'm not sure what costs a club has anyway?

pay for a website and web address?

Lee_M

Guru
I'm not sure why the two of you are posting on this thread .

same comment could apply to you too tbh

I'm commenting on an article that presents a specific view of cycle clubs and how people should engage as members that I disagree with.
As far as I'm aware thats what a forum is for, the exchange of opinions and POV

Why are you commenting?

Top Bottom