A interesting article about clubs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Mine does. A purse is handed round at the café stop and people will generally put in 50p.
So you give the cafe owner 10 times more than the club that took you there ? I guess thats fine if your club has no intent on helping other people and is just a group of people that go for a ride to a cafe once a week .
Take @screenman club , 40 races a year at £10 a head . Lets say 100 entries per race so not a full field thats 40k . Take away running costs of the hired hall and police notifications thats a lot of 50p's . The profit margin is so high as everyone mucks in to help and run the event .
That money is then put back into the club so you can see what the article is saying really . It must put some people back up when they are doing so much for the club for someone wearing the same kit to refuse to help but want to go on the free social rides .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I found the article to be rather confused and rambling to be honest. I didn't find it very interesting at all.

U

User482

So you give the cafe owner 10 times more than the club that took you there ? I guess thats fine if your club has no intent on helping other people and is just a group of people that go for a ride to a cafe once a week.
I don't think you know anything about my club.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I guess thats fine if your club has no intent on helping other people and is just a group of people that go for a ride to a cafe once a week .
How is organising races "helping other people"?

It must put some people back up when they are doing so much for the club for someone wearing the same kit to refuse to help but want to go on the free social rides .
It must put some people's backs up when they are doing so much for the free social rides for someone wearing club uniform to demand they be free labour for the expensive racers.

screenman

Legendary Member
Nobody in a club has ever demanded that I help, asked politely yes, but never demanded.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nobody in a club has ever demanded that I help, asked politely yes, but never demanded.
Oh sure, on the face of it, but then people in some clubs will start writing about how you going "on the social rides without helping with events is a bit like going to the pub with your mates all the time but never getting a round in" or other similar scorn, won't they?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Oh sure, on the face of it, but then people in some clubs will start writing about how you going "on the social rides without helping with events is a bit like going to the pub with your mates all the time but never getting a round in" or other similar scorn, won't they?
You are funny :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just noticed that the club of which I'm a member has this stipulation in the membership "I understand that I must provide assistance on at least one xxxx CC event per year". I don't have any regular contact with them, I have only kept up my membership for one particular annual event. I did assist on that event this year, so I can feel smug.

I don't know what they do to you if you don't assist on one event.

Reactions: mjr

screenman

Legendary Member

No.

Top Bottom