A 'left hook' very nearly got me today ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll describe the scene ...

I was riding along the A646 this afternoon at about 20 mph. There was oncoming traffic, and a parked car ahead of me on my side of the road. I was already well out in the road ready to pass the parked vehicle when I heard the sound of an emergency vehicle coming up fast behind me. It would only take me a couple of seconds to pass the parked vehicle so I decided to continue and then pull well into the left once past it.

Suddenly, a car from behind came into my peripheral vision swerving left at me. I had to brake hard and swerve left myself to avoid being hit. The car ended up forcing me towards the kerb and I stopped inches from the kerb and the left side of the car which was now stationary in front of me at 45 degrees to the kerb.

I'm afraid that I completely lost my cool and screamed at the driver who turned the back of his head to me and simply acted as if I were not there.

The emergency vehicle was actually a police car on 'blues and twos' and it soon shot past. The idiot driver who had nearly hit me then drove off without ever acknowledging what had happened.

I think that the driver somehow hadn't noticed that I was directly in front of him, had seen the blue flashing light in his rearview mirror, and had decided to swerve in behind the parked car to allow the police car to go by.

It was the closest that I have come to being knocked off my bike in years ... Scary stuff!

While on the subject of left hooks ... I was cycling from Manchester Piccadilly station to Manchester Victoria yesterday afternoon. I needed to take a left turn. Ahead of me was a minibus indicating left but it had stopped to allow an HGV to pull out of the side street. There was ample room to ride up the inside of the stationary bus and make my turn but I know better than that so I waited behind it. At that moment, the HGV driver realised that he couldn't complete his turn with the bus in the way so the HGV stopped. The bus suddenly started moving again and swung left across the gap that I would have cycled into. As it did so, I saw a sign on the back of the bus warning cyclists not to cycle up the inside of it. I see riders doing that kind of thing all the time and it makes me shudder!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm not convinced that the driver heard me screaming at him even once he had stopped the car. At first I thought he was embarrassed at what he'd done but I'm wondering if he WAS so focussed on the police car that he didn't see me OR hear me.

classic33

Leg End Member
All three services were on "Blues & Two's" in your neck o'wood yesterday, around 16:00.

Wasn't you that went onto the right-hand side of the road, just above the turning circle, headed into Hebden Bridge?

Drago

Legendary Member
Inside the car with Airwave chirping and the wailers going you can't hear much. Nevertheless, these noises shouldn't affect their eyes and brain. If the situation is as you describe I'd phone it in.

MikeG

Guru
Whilst I agree, Drago, without recorded evidence and a registration number, what would that actually achieve?

davidphilips

Veteran
The driver that swerving left at you was a dangerous driver and could well have knocked you of your bike and stopped the emergency vehicle attending the emergency. Dont know if its just lack of wit in some drivers or just a complete lack of consideration for cyclists but its a pity there was no cctv of his driving as he deserves to be reported, very least given a warning to stop him repeating it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think some drivers are panicked by vehicles on blues and twos for some strange reason, I had a near miss with a driver getting out the way of a fire engine some years ago.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Last week I heard a siren as I was going up a winding hill which is narrow and double white line. I knew there were a few cars behind me, and oncoming traffic so I knew that if I immediately stopped it would be worse for the emergency vehicle and not better, I waited until I thought all the cars were out the way and stopped (i was still in the road as there was no-where else to go). Smartly, a white van on the oncoming side stopped as-well and the Ambulance was able to pass. It was all good in the end but everyone needed to play there part for things to be safe.

It is not always best to just stop, you have to figure out the best place to stop, as you did. As for the car driver, sounds like he was a bit oblivious to what was in front and was simply looking in his mirrors.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's safer just to continue driving with the ambulance behind you until you reach a place where it can overtake safely. Takes a bit of nerve though.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone react properly to an emergency vehicle on blues and twos. The number of cars that just stop dead when they can go along a bit and move over is incredible. Even carrying on moving is preferable than stopping dead at a pinch point for example. (Glad you're OK by the way @ColinJ)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I actually misread the OP. I thought the unmarked EMS vehicle had cut him up. In which case, don't waste your breath reporting it.
Yes, it was a civilian's panic reaction to the EMS vehicle which caused the problem.

I don't have a clue about the car other than it was small and nippy. I can't even remember the colour of it, which is strange!

All three services were on "Blues & Two's" in your neck o'wood yesterday, around 16:00.

Wasn't you that went onto the right-hand side of the road, just above the turning circle, headed into Hebden Bridge?
No, I went in at 14:30 and went to see my stepdaughter for tea and cake. I was at Hebden Bridge station at 16:00 picking up tickets for Saturday's Scarborough ride.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone react properly to an emergency vehicle on blues and twos. The number of cars that just stop dead when they can go along a bit and move over is incredible. Even carrying on moving is preferable than stopping dead at a pinch point for example. (Glad you're OK by the way @ColinJ)
On the bike, it's a case of stop as soon as I can, followed by get out of the road if possible(never know what someone may do). Twice I've gone through lights on red, then pulled off the road. And both times I've been asked why did I do it by the police.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've noticed that drivers tend to panic when they hear a siren blaring. They annoyingly go out their way to allow the approaching emergency vehicle to pass,but don't bother about cyclists safety. I've had then overtake me,then slam their brakes on.So why did they have to overtake me i ask? They can't get their heads round cyclists not always stopping or slowing for emergency vehicles as we're narrow and wont block their path.

Top Bottom