A legal/encouraged RLJ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

That looks like an error to me and the council should be informed. I can't see a stop line in the cycle lane, but is that also a pedestrian crossing. I would stop at the red light anyway.

Pauluk

Well given that a road bike can easily reach speeds of 20 to 30 mph I would have thought this was down right dangerous.

Hawk

Veteran
TSRGD said:
Where no stop line has been provided in conjunction with light signals or the stop line is
not visible, references in relation to those signals to the “stop line” are

(a) in a case where the sign shown in diagram 7011 ["when red light shows, wait here], 7011.1 or 7027 [similar] is placed in conjunction with the light signals, to be treated as references to that sign; and
(b) in any other case, to be treated as references to the post or other structure on which the primary signals are mounted.

In other words, lights without a stop line are still a compulsory traffic control

ohnovino

Large Member
Is it a toucan crossing? If so, the lack of a stop line might be so bikes can leave/join the road at the crossing when the traffic lights are red.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Well given that a road bike can easily reach speeds of 20 to 30 mph I would have thought this was down right dangerous.

Not with me on it pal.:whistle:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2069050, member: 45"]Why? I can reach speeds of 20 to 30mph, but I've never managed to hit a pedestrian crossing the road.[/quote]

And they are easy, compared to pigeons.

Pauluk

User said:
Why? I can reach speeds of 20 to 30mph, but I've never managed to hit a pedestrian crossing the road.
Well done you, but I guess some peds may not be expecting a cycle to pass when the green man shows and some cyclists may not always be as careful/observant/knowledgeable as you and they may just see the lane as a filter.

Pauluk

User said:
Fair point, but there's no reason why that setup couldn't work well.
It would for me Paul cus I would just stop at the red but I wonder if everyone would, then in an accident make some claim that there was no stop line in the cycle lane and was therefore encouraged to filter.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not Bristol - that bit is North Somerset! Though Ashton Court itself is owned by the City of Bristol.

I assume it is a mistake but maybe to allow cyclists to go up on the pavement and cross to Ashton Court using the Toucan crossing?

Top Bottom