A Lighter light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I use a couple of cateye HL-EL320 lights like these
cat_el320_fin_07_m.jpg

They are big bright (although the spread of light is a little narrow) and robust.

But they are heavy and, as one has developed a fault with the switch, I am thinking of replacing both.

Thing is I cant find the lumens rating for the HL and so am not sure what to buy that is comparable in brightness and cost. I paid about £35 for each of these back in the day.

Can anyone recommend a comparably priced but equally bright front light. I like the lights that pulse rather than flash if that helps in recommendations and want something with a really good bracket (some lezyne seem to fail when fitted on the bars)

cheers

PS Not sure i want a huge expensive Hopevision thingy just yet, they seem even more bulky...but I'm happy to be convinced as they would certainly help with some dedicated night rides.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a Hope 1, Moon or BBB - all self contained units - the cat eye's are poop in comparison. Sorry. Had two EL 510's and in comparison, they are rubbish.

Yeh they weigh more, but that are far better made. Wouldn't worry about a few grams.

Reactions: gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You probably can't find a lumen rating for the cateye lights because they put out barely any light. The ratings would probably be less than 50 lumens.

MisterStan

Label Required
I've just bought a Moon 300 - haven't managaed to use it on the bike yet, due to a mechanical on Friday, but i had a quick look in the garden once it got dark and it seems pretty good. £70 delivered from Parker International. I'll be using an RSP light too on flash....

Davidc

Guru
I have an EL530. it was a good light when it came out - most of the competition then was halogen I think. Almost everything around now is better.

Very pleased with the Hope Vision 1 (Bought last year second hand). Weighs about the same because it uses the same 4 x AA batteries.

Still use the EL530 as an extra light on the round town mtb, wonder if someone on ebay would like it ??????????

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Get a Hope 1, Moon or BBB - all self contained units - the cat eye's are poop in comparison. Sorry. Had two EL 510's and in comparison, they are rubbish.

Yeh they weigh more, but that are far better made. Wouldn't worry about a few grams.

Is the Hope vison 1 the light that has the "super bright...car headlight" mode that yousee a lot of night riders using...if so, its tempting.

Thing is...and this will sound proper daft... but i like to have two lights (one as a backup ) and don't fancy them being an odd pair. so I'd need two hopes and £130 is a lot for seasonal lights.

Perhaps I can talk myself into doing more FNRTTC's with a couple of Hopes

Graham

Just got a Cateye Nano plus for £82 (2x£35?) off ebay and I'm happy with it! 600 lumens lights up unlit roads nicely.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lights 'seasonal' - no. Have lights on all year round. If it's dull or raining up here I put them on (which being Manchester is very often even in 'summer') :rain:

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Lights 'seasonal' - no. Have lights on all year round. If it's dull or raining up here I put them on (which being Manchester is very often even in 'summer') :rain:
I should phrase that as "good" lights seasonal. I can strap on the cat eye for general (just in case ) riding...its there all the time anyhow (except on a weekend day ride)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Buy a couple of ultra fire 501/502b torches, a pair of decent 18650 rechargeable, couple of mounts, charger and have change from £50. More light than anything else at that price!

inkd

Buy a couple of ultra fire 501/502b torches, a pair of decent 18650 rechargeable, couple of mounts, charger and have change from £50. More light than anything else at that price!
I have been looking on ebay at these, Everbody seems to use 2 lights, is this the norm? Surely if these T6 torches are super bright would 1 not do?

G2EWS

Got to say that this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300775253389&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Which I bought a little while ago is an amazing light. Only just started using it on the dark nights home and with it rotated low the light is very good. I have spoken to friends who have met me coming the other way and they say it is not a problem and does not dazzle them. As soon as I go off road, I rotate it higher and light up the whole path ahead of me.

Only slight complaint is the bracket is not very good. But I seem to recall someone mentioning a replacement which is better?

Best regards

Chris

Top Bottom