England : Northumberland A little known area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WCH

Hello from snowy North Northumberland! It's gloriously scenic at the moment, if rather snow covered and icy, perhaps not the best cycling weather! How many of you know this area as a cycling destination when the weather is more suitable? It would be good to introduce this wonderful cycling countryside to you.

Ruary

Live in Alnwick so know it pretty well :welcome:

Visit every so often, always enjoy riding across the Union Bridge over the Tweed at Fishwick. On my to do list is to pick a nice day with suitably timed tides to ride across the causeway to spend the day on Lindisfarne.

Ruary

[QUOTE 3492664, member: 9609"]aye, but if you need a good setting for your avatar you have to slip ower the border ^_^ how strange that our avatars were taken about 100 yards aprt!

Seriously though, I just love north northumberland, great cycling countryside.

Is that just outside Alnmouth on your Avatar.?[/QUOTE]

It is indeed, just at the top of Foxton Bank.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Live in Alnwick so know it pretty well :welcome:
Has the fuss over the 'heritage chippings' surface of the cycle path from Alnmouth towards Warkworth been sorted yet. I rode it not long after it had been done and they'd just put up the loose chippings warning signs - farcical. Also a shame that the route becomes impassable for road bikes further up the coast.

Ruary

Has the fuss over the 'heritage chippings' surface of the cycle path from Alnmouth towards Warkworth been sorted yet. I rode it not long after it had been done and they'd just put up the loose chippings warning signs - farcical. Also a shame that the route becomes impassable for road bikes further up the coast.
Unfortunately not, it's a real shame but despite protests from all the local cycling clubs and even a couple of councillors there's no sign of any change, it's a real shame as it's pushing cyclists out onto a pretty dangerous stretch of road from what was a faily decent track to ride on.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I sometimes use Northumberland as a cycling destination...

Image017.jpg

But usually just turn round again as the view always seems better the other way...
Image015.jpg

Though sometimes Northumberland does look good from the outside, like from near where your and Reiver's avatars originate.
Image049.jpg

fimm

Veteran
[QUOTE 3492664, member: 9609"]... how strange that our avatars were taken about 100 yards aprt!
[/QUOTE]
So where is that road? Not "Winter's Gibbet"?

fimm

Veteran
Thank you @User9609
I know I cycled a loop in that area once, but I don't think I've been on that particular bit of road.
On topic, I grew up in southern Northumberland, and have done a bit of cycling about when back visiting my parents. There seems to be a thriving Audax scene in the town they live in, but somehow I think "Hi, I'm coming to visit you for the weekend except actually I'm going to spend all day riding my bike" wouldn't go down all that well...

Top Bottom