A little Labrador coming to live with us next month

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Forget that. Even if he has a gazillion things that he's allowed to chew, he will go for the stuff you don't want him to.
Forget that. Even if he has a gazillion things that he's allowed to chew, he will go for the stuff you don't want him to.[/QUOT
He's light. Mine weighs 37Kg. He's not overweight, at his lightest he was 35Kg fully grown.

View attachment 353777
That dog sure is a cutie.He looks as if he has found the entrance to the sweet factory!!!

Enjoy!
My mutt seems to have learned two new words recently. It's unfortunate the words are 'chicken' and 'pie'

Drago

Legendary Member
What you going to call him? I find rock stars or film characters make excellent names for Labs.

Ozzy, Rocky, Jethro, Apollo...

And he'll need a silly middle name, so when the vet writes to you the envelope reads "Lemmy Hairyballs Farquhar", as it does in my case.

I'm strangely excited. Labs are amazing beyond belief.
IMG_20170525_073943.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The best dogs in the world are Patterdale terriers and this is indisputable. I concur with the exercise thing though, plenty of exercise, and then more exercise, leads to a happy and well behaved dog
I hate to quibble, but whilst on the right track with terriers, the best dogs in the world are, in fact, short haired Jack Russells ;)

If you're lucky enough to find one, a short haired jack russell/possibly staffie? mix, rescued by dog wardens in Wrexham makes a super companion :smile:

2827967596_65862f628f.jpg
Eddie
by Jacques LeSinge, on Flickr

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rigorous exercise also cuts down the likelihood of painful and expensive hip problems in Labs.
However, you need to ensure they aren't over-exercised in the first year. Five minutes of exercise per month of age, twice a day was the maxim I was told. After that, go for it. Willow and I get a couple of hours every afternoon and another 45 mins before bed. Mrs Cube takes her for half an hour before work.

Broadside

Guru
We have a Labrador, she's a great (smallish) size and I didn't realise until we got her that there is a working line and a show line to the breed. Ours is a working Labrador which means she has boundless energy and runs through countryside more like a deer leaping everywhere.

I think the show labradors are normally heavier set with much bigger heads and a bit less energetic.

They are great dogs but if you have a garden then be prepared for it to get destroyed....

Awww, lush! Our puppy will be one soon and the time has flown by. I found the puppy stage really difficult- when they say their teeth and claws are like needles, they aren't wrong! Once he got his big boy teeth and nails I was utterly in love. He's still a baby now really but a big goofball baby.
Have lots of fun with him :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
However, you need to ensure they aren't over-exercised in the first year. Five minutes of exercise per month of age, twice a day was the maxim I was told. After that, go for it. Willow and I get a couple of hours every afternoon and another 45 mins before bed. Mrs Cube takes her for half an hour before work.

Very true, and that's a pretty good timetable. Overdoing it can harm their development.

gbb

Legendary Member
Absolutely correct re the exercise while still a pup, don't overdo it according to our vet.

To show another side, our 7 YO Chocolate Lab is a dream regarding exercise and chewing. I always felt (and still do) a bit uneasy about leaving him all day, 8 hours, on his own in the house....while its far from the best thing to be doing, he does'nt bother too much, never chews (apart from a rare bit of mail) and seems to just be a lazy house dog. A dream with the kids, you can play fight, he'll never bite too hard (soft mouth)....and if you get the chance, take him to water. I've never had a dog that loved the water that much, rivers, streams or the sea, he just loves it.

Mine does have bad hips from a year old so we were always told don't exercise him too much so while he goes nuts if you get his lead out, we don't over do it, you can see he's tired after a mile at the most.

Top Bottom