A little light advice!

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Renmurew, 16 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. Renmurew

Renmurew Über Member

Hi

I am planning to do the through the night "ride to the sun" event in June next year.

I'd like to have some good rechargeable lights to take me through the event, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by information at the moment so would appreciate some advice.

I will likely be cycling from about 7pm to about 5am. Will a single charge of lights take me through the night or should I have two sets of lights?

Would rechargeable lights be better than batter powered?

What level of lumens should I be looking at?

Does anyone have any recommendations I can look at?

thanks in advance!

2. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

How about dynamo powered?

If you want traditional lights then have a look at https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/category-cycling.html

3. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Why rechargeable?

For long audaxes I run 2 x 50 watt Smart front lights plus a Hope Vision 1 on really dark bits. All AA powered, with a set of lithium AA batteries seeing me through a night.

classic33 likes this.
  4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

How long will it ge dark for?

5. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

On my Chase the Rising Sun, and Dunwich Dynamo, I've used one change of battery on my Fluxient U2 mini. Search for Torchy the Battery Boy for some good comparisons.

6. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

If the weather is decent, in June it won't be dark enough to need lights to see by until after 9pm, possibly later. Are there streetlights on the route?

If it's likely to be a one off ride, a decent battery powered light and a pocket full of AA's probably makes most sense financially.

capricapers likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Renmurew

Renmurew Über Member

Thanks for all the really quick and helpful advice. As noted its likely to be a one off ride so happy to go with batter powered lights with some spare batteries in my pocket.

NorthernDave and PeteXXX like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Renmurew

Renmurew Über Member

Thanks for this info - that sounds great. Is that light still available anywhere? I had a quick look but couldn't immediately see one?

9. PeteXXX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluxient-U2-Mini-bike-light/dp/B00D13VO0S

Out of stock at the moment, but for a cheapish light, it's brilliant (in all ways)
    I'll see if I can find another link later.

Renmurew likes this.
  10. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

June in Angus,
    end of twighlight 23:20 ->beg twighlight 03:10
    and in between those it will hardly get dark.
    a low powered light will do

Dogtrousers likes this.
  11. PeteXXX

Shame. It looks like it's not around anymore.. :sad:

12. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Not So Special One

16E273C6-BE7C-4454-9B2E-1C0E7DB07D0F.jpeg I have one of these lezyne lights from Pro Bike Kit, reduced from £160 to £50 and if you use code XMAS10 there is an additional 10% off.
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...7_1545050414_b142f51e652e442ba3beea2737d40acc

The light comes with a built in battery and an additional plug in power pack. Both light and Power pack are rechargeable with the USB lead provided. As you can see you can run the light for 9 hours at 450 lumens which is bright enough to light your way on unlit roads.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2018
  13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Blue Hills likes this.
  14. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

hondated likes this.
  15. andrew_s

andrew_s Guru

How does that work out then?

An AA has about 3 watt-hours in it, a set of 4 is 12 Wh, so that means your 50 watt Smart will last about 15 minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice