A mobile phone call mystery...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The first thing I ever do with a new phone is put on silent and keep it that way

That's almost as weird as a mate of mine; he keeps his phone switched off and only puts it on to make a call or send a text, then turns it off again.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I know that the " Junk " call companies often spoof the calling number ( I've had my own number pop up on caller display ) So perhaps a spam caller has auto generated your number to appear as the calling number on the recipients phone?

You were bang on with this, I've just spoken with my provider about the whole thing and the reason for account changes are legit, just done for security reasons. What a carry on!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got a call from a number I didn't recognise once. A young woman told me that I had won a prize in a competition. "Oh yeah...", I replied, "and what competition was that?"

She told me, and I realised that it actually WAS one that I had entered a few months before. My heart rate almost instantly went from 60 bpm to 160 bpm! I still didn't quite believe it but gave her my details. There was a knock at my door the next morning and a courier was standing there with a big cardboard box containing a music synthesiser workstation worth £1,800! :smile:

Since then I usually DO answer unknown numbers, but when they ask if I am ColinJ, I say that it depends on who they are and what they want. If they don't convince me that I need/want to talk to them, I say "Only kidding - you must have the wrong number - I have never heard of him!"

The local anticoagulation clinic insist on calling me from a withheld number so I can't see that it is them. It is really annoying and could lead to people missing important calls about their medication.

This very weird thing happened to me when I was a student...

In the 80s, I was a student living in Manchester. My flat didn't have a phone and this was in the days before mobiles, so when I did the dutiful son thing and phoned my mum once a week, I used to have to go out to a callbox on the corner of the street to make the call.

So there I was one evening. I dialled my parents' number and my mother answered.

"Hi mum"
"Is that you Colin?"
"Don't you recognise your only son's voice?"
"Oh it IS you - it's been a while since you phoned us..."

There was a loud click, then a hiss, then silence. I put the receiver down, and picked it back up again to redial my mother, but I heard a voice on the line. The call was still connected...

"Colin, are you there?"
"Yes, I am. Something went wrong with the phone just now"
"Why are you speaking in that strange voice?"

Coming to think of it, my mother sounded different too - as if she was aged about 25 rather than 60....

"What about you - you sound like a woman in her mid-20s!"
"I am a woman in her mid-20s!!!"

Something weird must have happened at the telephone exchange because I was now speaking to a woman who thought she was speaking to her boyfriend Colin. B/f Colin was actually engaged in a very confusing conversation with a 60 year old woman in the midlands :ohmy:!

It took a while for us all to work out what had happened. It was a very strange experience.
:wacko:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That's almost as weird as a mate of mine; he keeps his phone switched off and only puts it on to make a call or send a text, then turns it off again.

Yes, I have two brothers-in-law who behave like that. It is impossible to contact them. I feel sorry for their respective wives, who end up acting as their “secretary”.

13 rider

Guru
I'm an openreach engineer (bt) . I had 3 different customers report the exact thing you experienced and I know other engineers have had similar circumstances. We think it's a scam but all they gained it's the knowledge it's a working number that the person will answer. I have reported my instances to BT security and they said they would monitor . I have called back the customers weeks later and nothing else has happened so don't worry about it

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a call from a hospital consultant due this month and they tell me in advance to warn me that it will be from a specific 0800 number. So many people now just ignore such numbers as I always do unless as in this case I expect the call.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm an openreach engineer (bt) . I had 3 different customers report the exact thing you experienced and I know other engineers have had similar circumstances. We think it's a scam but all they gained it's the knowledge it's a working number that the person will answer. I have reported my instances to BT security and they said they would monitor . I have called back the customers weeks later and nothing else has happened so don't worry about it

That's essentially what I was told by the woman I spoke to. She said it was unlikely to happen again, but if it did, just send in another report.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got a call from a number I didn't recognise once. A young woman told me that I had won a prize in a competition. "Oh yeah...", I replied, "and what competition was that?"

She told me, and I realised that it actually WAS one that I had entered a few months before. My heart rate almost instantly went from 60 bpm to 160 bpm! I still didn't quite believe it but gave her my details. There was a knock at my door the next morning and a courier was standing there with a big cardboard box containing a music synthesiser workstation worth £1,800! :smile:

Since then I usually DO answer unknown numbers, but when they ask if I am ColinJ, I say that it depends on who they are and what they want. If they don't convince me that I need/want to talk to them, I say "Only kidding - you must have the wrong number - I have never heard of him!"

The local anticoagulation clinic insist on calling me from a withheld number so I can't see that it is them. It is really annoying and could lead to people missing important calls about their medication.

This very weird thing happened to me when I was a student...

:wacko:
Crossed lines were not uncommon in those days and the office girls used to give me a shout if they got an “interesting” one. We once heard somebody clearly being offered a bribe to swing a job the right way. I muttered “ got that recorder on “ not directly into the mouthpiece which caused a sharp intake of breath and phone put down.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom