A mocha frappe costs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Top tip at Prêt à Manger: Buy a filter coffee with the milk on the side — £1:25. Add a bit of the milk and the result is indistiguishable from a white Americano; add all the milk and the result is indistinguishable from a strongish Latte. If I remember rightly, Americanos and Lattes weigh in at over the £2:00 mark.

…and coffee is the one thing worth buying at McDonald's, where it is even cheaper.

A few times in some of them places, we've asked for white tea, which seems to cause confusion, not because it's tea, but because we asked for 'white' tea.

I'm struggling to work out what the confusion is, but we keep doing it, as it's far more fun than just asking for a cup of tea with milk. ^_^

Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Once upon a time, asking for a drink was simple, the most you got asked was do you want milk or sugar. Now it's like a bloody restaurant menu for a drink! Me, 'Black coffee please.' Server, 'You mean Americano.' Me, 'You call it anything you wish as long as it's coffee, it's hot and it's black.' Getting old and grumpy with the modern world.

A few times in some of them places, we've asked for white tea, which seems to cause confusion, not because it's tea, but because we asked for 'white' tea.

I'm struggling to work out what the confusion is, but we keep doing it, as it's far more fun than just asking for a cup of tea with milk. ^_^
Tea comes in 3 basic types: black (normal), green (poncy vegetarian) and white ( poncy vegetarian supermodel diva).
White is from the budding leaf, green is from the 2 next young leaves down. Black is what all of you chimps and builders drink from the rest of the leaves.

Top tip at Prêt à Manger: Buy a filter coffee with the milk on the side — £1:25. Add a bit of the milk and the result is indistiguishable from a white Americano; add all the milk and the result is indistinguishable from a strongish Latte. If I remember rightly, Americanos and Lattes weigh in at over the £2:00 mark.

…and coffee is the one thing worth buying at McDonald's, where it is even cheaper.

And the caffeine content is far higher as the coffee has had time to diffuse and brew in the water. If you want flavour over the caffeine go for Americano.

Tea comes in 3 basic types: black (normal), green (poncy vegetarian) and white ( poncy vegetarian supermodel diva).
White is from the budding leaf, green is from the 2 next young leaves down. Black is what all of you chimps and builders drink from the rest of the leaves.

I just want a normal tea with milk though. Like someone else said, I can't be doing with a quiz, and I must have 'that' look when I order a coffee, because they tend to stop short of running through the options when I politely ask for a normal coffee.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Post Wormwood Scrubs parkrun on Saturday we were invited back to Thames Valley Harriers clubhouse at the Linford Christie stadium. Black coffee and homemade flapjack £1 👍☕️

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
A few times in some of them places, we've asked for white tea, which seems to cause confusion, not because it's tea, but because we asked for 'white' tea. I'm struggling to work out what the confusion is, but we keep doing it, as it's far more fun than just asking for a cup of tea with milk. ^_^
For fun with hot drinks go to Starbucks. They always ask for your name so that they can write it on the cup. I thoroughly object to announcing my name in public so I always say 'Ozymandias'. There usually follows a humorous exchange with something like 'Easy' or 'Oz' ending up on the cup. Many on here will recognize that the name is a quotation from Shelley's poem, Ozymandias, '…My name is Ozymandias, king of kings…' and I look forward to the day when the barista immediately laughs and writes 'Despair' on the cup. That will be the one who stands to get a tip.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Once upon a time, asking for a drink was simple, the most you got asked was do you want milk or sugar. Now it's like a bloody restaurant menu for a drink! Me, 'Black coffee please.' Server, 'You mean Americano.' Me, 'You call it anything you wish as long as it's coffee, it's hot and it's black.' Getting old and grumpy with the modern world.
If you think coffee is bad, try ordering a beer in Belgium, last time in Brugge I was presented with an A4 sized book, yes a book with every type of beer you could think of & thousands more besides, the Flemish stew that accompanied it was delicious though.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
For fun with hot drinks go to Starbucks. They always ask for your name so that they can write it on the cup. I thoroughly object to announcing my name in public so I always say 'Ozymandias'. There usually follows a humorous exchange with something like 'Easy' or 'Oz' ending up on the cup. Many on here will recognize that the name is a quotation from Shelley's poem, Ozymandias, '…My name is Ozymandias, king of kings…' and I look forward to the day when the barista immediately laughs and writes 'Despair' on the cup. That will be the one who stands to get a tip.

One day you might get a cup with twat written on it. :smile:

pah with all this milky nonsense.

double shot - that'll be a tenner.

Top Bottom