A Moulton Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Well maybe a self help thread.

I have been doing a bit of daydreaming about Moultons. Not the vintage ones, but the new fangled pylon style ones.

They aren’t officially a folder, so it doesn’t tick that box. But you can get one into a suitcase for long haul travel. But then when you get there, are they going to be any good as a long distance tourer? And how on earth do you load them up with luggage?

They look efficient and fast so I would imagine they could be fun on an Audax although I have ne er seen one on an event. Aside from the sheer and utter beauty of these quirky machines, I can’t really think of any other reasons to own one.

Are there any Moulton fanatics on here? What say you?

Well maybe a self help thread.

I have been doing a bit of daydreaming about Moultons. Not the vintage ones, but the new fangled pylon style ones.

They aren’t officially a folder, so it doesn’t tick that box. But you can get one into a suitcase for long haul travel. But then when you get there, are they going to be any good as a long distance tourer? And how on earth do you load them up with luggage?

They look efficient and fast so I would imagine they could be fun on an Audax although I have ne er seen one on an event. Aside from the sheer and utter beauty of these quirky machines, I can’t really think of any other reasons to own one.

Are there any Moulton fanatics on here? What say you?
I too have been dreaming of owning a Moulton, I have no idea how quickly they go together, I don’t really need a folder, but I do have a Brompton, so wants usually override needs, but I would like something that I could fit in the car easily to do some rides further afield, then reload and drive home.

fossala

Guru
I've owned two TSR's and currently own an AM. I've owned a few retro models along the way.

You can have a platform carrier on the front and rear or a platform on the front and a pannier carrier on the front. I did LEJOG self supported on a TSR and have done many audaxs on them.

What do you want to know?

Dmq3DwS.jpg

DXE6f25.jpg

vs6kskq-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've owned two TSR's and currently own an AM. I've owned a few retro models along the way.

You can have a platform carrier on the front and rear or a platform on the front and a pannier carrier on the front. I did LEJOG self supported on a TSR and have done many audaxs on them.

What do you want to know?

View attachment 408680
View attachment 408681
View attachment 408682

Lovely. It’s just a fascination for a beautiful machine in this 5 minutes. When my youngest is old enough to cycle further, I would sell my Surly Big Dummy before I could sponsor any sort of purchase. For now I am just curious. I have also always loved the Surly Troll.

If I suddenly had a change in financial circumstances, I think the TSR 22 makes a good value point. And if I won the lottery it would be a NS double pylon. DROOL.

fossala

Guru
I would look into the SST, if fixes a few shortfalls of the TSR. I have a Surly Pugsley as well, lovely bike. Non of my bikes have been touched since buying my recumbent though.

fossala

Guru
Coincidentally, there was a Moulton at one of the bike-shelters at work on Tuesday
Not sure what model

Can this be seen?

That is an APB. It's the first attempt that Pashley had at making Moulton bicycles under licence. They used a modified version of a jig the BOA factory used for making the AM-ATB. I've had one and would pick a F-frame Moulton over them. Apparently the later models (fx-8) are a bit better.

fossala

Guru
Even with my love for Moultons, Alex Moulton wasn't the best engineer and released many models with flaws in them. I know this isn't the most popular opinion with other Moulton owners but it's true. I posted the following in another thread but will re-post it here

TSR has an offset pivot and the bearing interface is too small to take the uneven load. This causes it to come loose and can wear the pivot. This was fixed with the SST by increasing the surface area by 150% yet they still sell the faulty TSR
APB suspension is too low, can lead to seat tube collapsing.
Series 1 rear forks not being strong enough with almost all forks that have had regular use snapping.
Early series 1 front forks where not brazed correctly. It is common for the steerer to detach from the forks while riding where the brass hasn't fully flowed.
Paint on new models come of if you sneeze near them.
Moulton TSRs didn't have bump stops large enough at some point (don't know years that where affected), this meant that the forks banged into the leading link plates damaging the forks. This happened to me and Moulton refused to warranty them until I threatened legal action. IMO the damage that happened to my forks and them knowing it was a design fault that could lead to sudden failuer should result in complete recall and replacement.
Stainless steel New series rusting through.
£500 stems that go rusty in a year, their answer is to smother them all over in thin grease.
Faulty rear flexitor on New Series that was leant to Bicycle Quarterly and ended up with a bad review. Moulton only fixed on proviso that the owner wouldn't lend out for review again...
Early AM fork where too weak so they changed the design so there wasn't any taper.
Bridgestone Moulton rear forks can break at the pivot. I guess this is because the aluminium can't take the flex.

There's more but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

chriscross1966

Über Member
That is an APB. It's the first attempt that Pashley had at making Moulton bicycles under licence. They used a modified version of a jig the BOA factory used for making the AM-ATB. I've had one and would pick a F-frame Moulton over them. Apparently the later models (fx-8) are a bit better.

Yeah, always thought it weird the way tatty APB's sell for multiples of what decent and usable F-frames seem to fetch, the prices usable Mini's go for is ridiculous for something that well made....

fossala

Guru
Yeah, always thought it weird the way tatty APB's sell for multiples of what decent and usable F-frames seem to fetch, the prices usable Mini's go for is ridiculous for something that well made....
I think mk3s ride better than TSRs, nearly as good as an AM when you put 17" wheels on it. They're the best looking Moulton in my opinion as well. They aren't that cheap though.

Top Bottom