A New Cycling Charity Challenge - Not For The Faint Hearted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldChallenge

Event title: Gold Challenge 2012km Challenge
Event date/s: Ongoing until the end of 2012
Event location: Can be completed anywhere in the UK
Event organiser: Gold Challenger
Your relationship: Employee/Enthusiastic Soul
Cost of entry: Free - you just have to commit to fundraising for a charity partner
Minimum sponsorship: We recommend a target of £250
Beneficiary: Any one of our charity partners:
http://www.goldchall...charitypartners
Event link: http://www.goldchallenge.org/

Hi all,

I work for the Gold Challenge, and just wanted to ask your opinions on a new challenge we have just launched which we think is perfect for serious cyclists.

You or your team must cover 2012km on your bike by the 20th December (the 12!) 2012 - or before if you're up for a serious challenge!

You'll be fundraising for one of our charity partners (preferably £2012) and doing something amazing to mark the fact that London 2012 will be coming to us next year.

What do you think? Is this something you could take on as a serious cycling challenge? Do you have any feedback for us to make it even more challenging?

Find out more about it here by clicking on the 2012 km Challenge button: http://www.goldchallenge.org/

All comments are welcome and seriously appreciated!

Thanks from Gem at Gold Challenge.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi all,

I work for the Gold Challenge, and just wanted to ask your opinions on a new challenge we have just launched which we think is perfect for serious cyclists.

You or your team must cover 2012km on your bike by the 20th December (the 12!) 2012 - or before if you're up for a serious challenge!

You'll be fundraising for one of our charity partners (preferably £2012) and doing something amazing to mark the fact that London 2012 will be coming to us next year.

What do you think? Is this something you could take on as a serious cycling challenge? Do you have any feedback for us to make it even more challenging?

Find out more about it here by clicking on the 2012 km Challenge button: http://www.goldchallenge.org/

All comments are welcome and seriously appreciated!

Thanks from Gem at Gold Challenge.

Well you asked for comments.......

I find nowadays that people are becoming charitied out and so I tend to do only one sponsored ride per year. I think I'd have trouble selling this as it actually takes a year. It doesn't seem definitive enough to me. "Will you sponsor me to cycle round the world?" Yes. "Will you sponsor me to cycle London - Paris" Yes. "Will you sponsor me to cycle 2012km in the next 12 months", mmmm. It's just over 100 miles per week which is just over my regular commute so that would put people off sponsoring me too.

All that said I can obviously see where the idea has come from and wish you all the best with it and that it does raise a lot of cash!!!
thumbsup.png

Heather

I agree. I think I'd find it almost impossible to get people to sponsor me for that. I ride on average about 2000k a month anyway with my commutes and stuff included. I think people tend to go for sponsoring 'events' more.

When you look at it as 100mpw- well I've done that in 3 days of commuting........ I think it would need to be something more..........

Just my thoughts.

I ride on average about 2000k a month anyway with my commutes and stuff included.

Assuming that is 2,000km a month then at 20km/hr average speed that's 100 hours or 12 eight cycling hour days or 3 hours a day every day of the month. That's a hell of a lot of cycling!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
LOL.
As what others have said. 100 miles a week is not a lot to some on here (3 days of commuting for myself).

Now if you had said 20012 Km's or something like , now that would be a challenge.
biggrin.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1489046"]
I was thinking about this on the way home.

Why don't we enter a CC team, and complete all 2012 kms by teatime on 1st January? There are always people going out on New Years Day, it only need 40 of us to commit to do 50km and we've done it! Obviously that leaves us 12km short, but as team leader I would be happy to commit to doing those 12k's (not extra you understand, just tidying up the loose ends :blush: )

Just a thought.
[/quote]

Now that is a bloody good idea User76
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
GoldChallenge

GoldChallenge

Thanks for the feedback guys. It has been duly noted and I will definitely be passing it onto the team.

I would also like to mention two points. Firstly - I LOVE the idea of completing it in a day with a team. From what you're saying it seems like this would definitely have more appear to serious cyclists. And it would be pretty cool to complete a 2012km Charity Challenge on the first day of 2012... You should definitely sign up and do that!

The second is that you can complete the 2012km by other Olympic and Paralympic sport themed modes of travel. How does adding running, windsurfing, rowing, horse riding and/or canoeing sound? Could this make it a little bit more interesting and difficult, if you were to intersperse the cycling element with other (slower) modes of transport?

Again - cheers for taking the time to help me out with this. It's appreciated!

Gem

Top Bottom