A new experience - SNOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
swee said:
I reckon global warming has melted the ice caps and the cold water flowing into the Atlantic shut has down the Atlantic conveyor which delivers heat from the equator to western Europe. We are at the same latitude as Siberia, without the Atlantic Conveyor we'll have a similar climate.

I've got ice tyres. I'll be alright.

hackbike 6

Coldest commute of the year coming up.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
upandover said:
I've read a few posts which suggest a mountain bike is better than a road bike in winter/snow, but never quite saying it clearly.

Is that a consensus, or is it a disputed fact :biggrin:

Cheers
Steve

No idea. I just find the handling better on the MTB. Perhaps it's all in the head.

Jake

Brrrrrrrrrr last night, left mates at 21.30. could not belive heavy snow in soho! about half an inch on the cars. Had to cycle home, total madness. it was hard snow which hit ones face really hard! the wind didnt help it much either, then all the large pools of water. Luckily cars and other forms of killer viechles seem to pity me and give me a wide birth or hold back some.

There was a thread about goretex shoes and i may have said how good they are. well usualy they are, although someone was right in that the water runs down your waterproof trousers and collects in your trainers lol. At this point in time they are still upside down on the radiator after pooring out a pint of water. Gloves, well, not sure what happened there but lost all feeling to my fingers, as well as my toes. Still, I did enjoy last night and had time for a chuckle at the absurbity of the situation i found myself in, looking like frosty the snowman.

Tynan

Veteran
Bloomsbury to E4 starting at 9.25pm, snow from the off, anything from medium to blizzard, driving into my eyes in places, stopped once as I plain couoldn;t see ahead

new waterproof winter gloves were a winner

sadly the nightvision was nice and dry under the stairs, so giller and ls top it was, thankfully with the first base later of the year, ok but I wouln;t have fancied much more than the hour I did

the very mediocre Diadora Chilli boots did their usual, kept it out for a while, feet got damp but stayed fairly warm

Jake

;) wsa def fun hey! could not belive it. I knew there was meant to be sleet, but a blizzard or hard snow. Certinaly makes you peddle harder to get home. Did you notive drivers being a bit moe careful too? was nice to see and much appriciated.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Having to get used to winter pretty early this year. Nice commute as it goes, snow on the trees and on the fields. Bit of low-lying mist. I don't think the gritters were out last night and I've still got my 23s on. A lot of the drivers were saying how slippy it was, but most people who work here commute north to south (property prices) and I go the opposite direction. It wasn't so bad for me, roads were mostly pretty clear, a little slippy on the short bit of road outside of where I work. Had trouble getting from the bike stands to the office, nearly ended up on my arse.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Tynan said:
the very mediocre Diadora Chilli boots did their usual, kept it out for a while, feet got damp but stayed fairly warm

I've been contemplating getting a pair of 'winter' shoes as mine were soaked within seconds last night.

Any recommendations or is it best just to stick some overshoes on the top?

Top Bottom