A new LBS opens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
When we mostly hear about LBS's closing, it's good to hear about one opening.
Local to me, too. EAT cycling.

I will pop in to give it a look, but to be honest I can't see me being a valued customer given that I quite enjoy doing all my own bike maintenance. And the tone of the press release hints that he wants to encourage "other keen cyclists" which probably excludes old plodders like myself. I'm not a fan of group rides, but it would be interesting to visit the shop and speak to the guy at least.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keen cyclist doesn't have to mean group or club rides.

Slick

Guru

I will pop in to give it a look, but to be honest I can't see me being a valued customer given that I quite enjoy doing all my own bike maintenance. And the tone of the press release hints that he wants to encourage "other keen cyclists" which probably excludes old plodders like myself. I'm not a fan of group rides, but it would be interesting to visit the shop and speak to the guy at least.

Nice to know they are there, although it is probably a bit out my way now since the house move. Good luck to him though. :okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He did mention casual cyclists. Sounds much like my own LBS. Regularly see ££££ bikes in there- Pinarello, Cervelo, DuraAce and Record groups. Ingrid the boss often has the bike she did TCR No7 on displayed there (Feather Cycles steel frame, Chorus group). A few months, there was a very nice Tripster ATR v3 frame waiting to be built up…that ended up in a garage near this sofa ;) But, they also do plenty of shopping/ 'casual' bikes and there's a regular trade in fixing punctures on BSOs. Sure this guy will be the same.

Last edited:

Other keen cyclists to me just mean folk who enjoy riding their bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Brave folks in this financial climate!

Indeed.

But if you get your sums right a recession can be a great time to start one. You have to think creatively in order to attract custom and you learn to keep costs at a minimum, whereas established businesses are often burdened with loans and tax bills from the period when times were good and money was flooding in.

We started our own driving school in the recession of the early nineties when many instructors were quitting through lack of work and the company we worked for were going under, not just due to the lack of money about but also the demographic blip which saw the teenage population plummet.

We came in with base model cars and absolutely no frills and never looked back.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Indeed.

But if you get your sums right a recession can be a great time to start one. You have to think creatively in order to attract custom and you learn to keep costs at a minimum, whereas established businesses are often burdened with loans and tax bills from the period when times were good and money was flooding in.

We started our own driving school in the recession of the early nineties when many instructors were quitting through lack of work and the company we worked for were going under, not just due to the lack of money about but also the demographic blip which saw the teenage population plummet.

We came in with base model cars and absolutely no frills and never looked back.

Good work; and again sounds like a brave decision!

Granted I'm ever the pessimist, however IMO starting a bricks-and-mortar retail business selling items that will arguably have been subject to the greatest over-supply during covid, while the country heads into what will arguably be the greatest recession for decades takes conviction and balls of steel.

Presumably a driving school is a relatively safe bet due to constant demand and relatively low sunk / ongoing costs, while a shop requires all manner of sunk costs and regular outgoings, regardless of what you might be taking.. in a market that's arguably saturated and subject to an over-supply of used stock post covid.

Regardless, it's a noble goal and I applaud their stones!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

Granted I'm ever the pessimist, however IMO starting a bricks-and-mortar retail business selling items that will arguably have been subject to the greatest over-supply during covid, while the country heads into what will arguably be the greatest recession for decades takes conviction and balls of steel.

Presumably a driving school is a relatively safe bet due to constant demand and relatively low sunk / ongoing costs, while a shop requires all manner of sunk costs and regular outgoings, regardless of what you might be taking.. in a market that's arguably saturated and subject to an over-supply of used stock post covid.

Regardless, it's a nobel goal and I applaud their stones!

It certainly wouldn't be me! There was a LBS in the town a few years ago, run by a guy that I am quite friendly with. It didn't last long due to lack of demand, pure and simple. I wish the new venture all the best, but I really can't see how he's going to make a wage out of it. I assume he has done his homework before jumping in, so we shall see.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Regardless, it's a nobel goal and I applaud their stones!

True enough.

The problem with retail that is the internet has killed High Street sales in many areas. And in the bike business you are relying on customers who know little or nothing about bikes to generate sales of spares and servicing. Those of us who are handy with the spanners know what we want can get everything cheaper online.

However, bike shops do still survive (Albeit in smaller numbers) and often thrive so good luck to this guy.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
True enough.

The problem with retail that is the internet has killed High Street sales in many areas. And in the bike business you are relying on customers who know little or nothing about bikes to generate sales of spares and servicing. Those of us who are handy with the spanners know what we want can get everything cheaper online.

However, bike shops do still survive (Albeit in smaller numbers) and often thrive so good luck to this guy.

Absolutely.. default is always the internet for most people now; especially if you're confident that you know what you want. I've only used my LBS a couple of times recently to get stuff I could have bought a lot cheaper online but needed quickly.

I've also not used a bike shop for repairs for probably 20yrs through a combination of consistantly bad experiences and an innate desire to do the work myself on cost / OCD grounds.

Good LBS' are always welcome though and of course it would be to our detriment if they all disappeared; even if it was just because we could no longer nip in to get that bit we need in a hurry.. although of course they're never going to make a wage out of just people like us!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
The problem I have found with LBS's in the internet age, is that they don't keep a wide range of parts (no doubt with good reason, it wouldn't be practical or make financial sense to have a large stock of parts). So any time I have tried to get a part from an LBS, the answer is usually "we don't have that in stock, but I can order it in. It will be here in 3 or 4 days for you to collect". Sorry, but I can easily order it myself, probably at a lower price, and have it dropped through my letter box rather than make another trip to the LBS..

So I'm not their target customer, but others are. I hope for the sake of LBS's that there are enough customers to keep them afloat. But I don't feel obliged to use them, any more than local pubs, restaurants, other shops....

Big John

Guru
We've got a town full of empty retail units, areas of total abandonment and yet no less than four serious local bike shops with Evans Cycles being the latest addition. On the outskirts of the town we have another couple of very sizeable bike shops. Like many cyclists I buy most of my stuff online and I do wonder how these businesses survive now but the ones we have, with the exception of new boys Evans, have been around for years so there must be many who still buy spend locally. This, of course, may change as the recession bites.

Chislenko

Veteran
I was curious is to why it is called EAT.

I suppose he is Eddie A Thompson but still a strange name in my mind.

Top Bottom