A new pet hate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Road Fiddler

Since starting my longer commute I have noticed the biggest bug bear for me is the number of vehicles that do not signal at roundabouts. I have quite a few roundabouts, both mini and large ones. It is often very hard to know ones intentions on the roundabout as I approach so have to slow until they make there intentions clear. If they used there indicators in most cases I would be able to go through the round about without slowing.

I don’t remember this being much of an issue 10 / 15 years ago when I was cycling much greater distances.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Its my number 1 pet hate on the road.

Even when driving, to sit there like a prat waiting for the car coming towards you which then swerves off without indicating drives me mad.

I used to drive HGV's, and that was even worse. It takes a little while to get them moving and I wasted a lot of my life waiting at roundabouts and junctions for vermin who were too lazy too indicate.

Christ, its not even much effort is it ? shoot the bloody lot of 'em I say.

And don't get me started on those who don't bother indicating to change lane on a 3 lane motorway......

Agreed. It is a right pain in the bottom. The other problem of course is that even when they do indicate, you can' always trust it....:blush:

Cab

I've always thougt that what we need is a third indicator, a 'straight on' light. If that isn't on at a junction or a roundabout you know that the other guy is an idiot without having to wait.

I'd also love to see some enforcement on this kind of thing, especially at roundabouts. Gets people hurt, and wastes a hell of a lot of energy and time too.

Probably my biggest annoyance at RAB's isn't so much the lack of indication, its the total lack of comoprehension that a bicycle might be taking it just as fast as a car, EXCEPT WE CAN'T BRAKE AND CORNER AT THE SAME TIME. MUPPETS.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Cab said:
I've always thougt that what we need is a third indicator, a 'straight on' light. If that isn't on at a junction or a roundabout you know that the other guy is an idiot without having to wait.

I'd also love to see some enforcement on this kind of thing, especially at roundabouts. Gets people hurt, and wastes a hell of a lot of energy and time too.

yup, forgot to mention my thoughts on the "straight on" indicator too.

yenrod

Bloody good idea - it could be always on not flashing just on in the centre of the car/vehicle and if it was out then you;d know they where going 'in some direction'.... :blush:

Cab said:

Tynan

Veteran
indeed, and for all turnings really where they have the right of way or think they do

I suspect it's one of those things that spreads, they see others do it and follow, cars blatantly jumping red lights, like right through the middle rather than just 'late', crooked billet roundabout at the start of my trip is the one I've really noticed it

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I still the the greatest contribution to the design of a car which would improve road safety.........10" spike from the centre of the steering wheel

Well actually many cars are very very hazardous to their occupants indeed. The trouble is people FEEL protected.

They would be all worried about the spike for a few weeks and then would feel protected again and we would get no further.

Unless all the idiots started beng wiped out by these spikes...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Unless all the idiots started beng wiped out by these spikes...

and as the population of WVM and boy racers rapidly declines, the rest wonder 'why?' As the answer spreads thro' the populace the roads quickly get safer and the number of cyclists increase.

With the number of cyclists increased, we can remove the spikes. As we all know, the more cyclists the safer the roads.

Maybe we should start a petition at the No 10 website?:blush:

toontra

Veteran
I now shout "indicate" at all drivers who make a manoeuvre without indicating. When did these cretins pass their tests - when I took mine it was one of the main constituents. Indicate whenever you may affect any other road-user or pedestrian (even when leaving a mini-roundabout if you're going straight on, for example).

If we all start shouting "indicate" maybe this will become socially unacceptable behavior (like using a mobile).

Arch

Married to Night Train
toontra said:
If we all start shouting "indicate" maybe this will become socially unacceptable behavior (like using a mobile).

Cool. But can we make a pact always to shout it in a Dalek style voice?

"In-di-cate!"

I gather this year's must-have Christmas toy is a mask that changes your voice to a Dalek voice. If we all stripped the gismos out of those and wore them under buffs or scarves, it would be hilarious!

Or we could just wear the masks - I guess a driver confronted by a cycling Dalek/human hybrid with one eye and tentacles might take notice...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Arch said:
I guess a driver confronted by a cycling Dalek/human hybrid with one eye and tentacles might take notice...
How could they ever hope to take over the universe with no depth perception?

Top Bottom