A nice gift for the nurses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Last month, I had a bike fall and spent a couple of nights in hospital.

The medical care in general was excellent, but the nurses in particular were absolute stars - I was in the high-dependency orthopaedic ward, and I think I was the only one in the ward that only had a physical injury - most of my ward-mates also had dementia. I was quite humbled by the care and compassion that the nurses showed towards all of their patients.

I am planning to drop by the ward some time today or tomorrow with a small gift. But what should I get?

A pal who is a nurse said “don’t get chocolates - we get too many of those at Christmas”.

She suggested getting a box of “nice teas” or something like that - she said that in her ward that sort of thing is appreciated over chocolates.

And my daughter suggests getting a dozen mini-bottles of Prosecco - the 200ml “glass and a half” ones.

Any other ideas? I’m tending towards the Prosecco suggestion at the moment...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@bruce1530 sorry to hear about your incident hope all ok now

i think the teas and some nice quality biscuits would be a good idea

Sandra6

Veteran
While I think it's really nice that you want to thank the nursing staff, and I think tea and biscuits are the most appropriate gift btw, I'd just like to say don't expect too much in the way of recognition when you do.
Mr6's father was in our local hospital a few years ago now, but he was very grateful to the nurses and made quite a long journey to return his crutches and thank them personally - he also gave them quite a bit of cash towards their "christmas party" - and none of the nurses remembered him or were at all moved by his actions.
I hope you don't have the same experience, but I guess, for them, it's every day stuff, whereas for you it's a one off.

Slick

Guru
The dartboard sounds like the best idea so far. I wouldn't get too worked up about what to get them, most people just like to know their efforts have been appreciated.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Something they can all use in the rest room such as a tin of biscuits or even a large jar of Nescafe - not very 'gifty', but I bet it wouldn't last long.

Nothing wrong with 'nice teas', but I expect a big box of PG Tips tea bags would go down better.

You probably know this already, but whatever you get make sure it's wrapped and preferably factory sealed.

Stuff like flowers, plants or any unwrapped food might be regarded as a health hazard and possibly rejected.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A set of new uniforms?
sexy-nurse-costume-pink-white-mini-dress-nurses-uniform-adult-theatre-costumes_21533799.jpe

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A set of new uniforms?
sexy-nurse-costume-pink-white-mini-dress-nurses-uniform-adult-theatre-costumes_21533799.jpe

Good thing @User13710 hasn't been around for a while or you'd be for the high jump.

While I think it's really nice that you want to thank the nursing staff, and I think tea and biscuits are the most appropriate gift btw, I'd just like to say don't expect too much in the way of recognition when you do.
Mr6's father was in our local hospital a few years ago now, but he was very grateful to the nurses and made quite a long journey to return his crutches and thank them personally - he also gave them quite a bit of cash towards their "christmas party" - and none of the nurses remembered him or were at all moved by his actions.
I hope you don't have the same experience, but I guess, for them, it's every day stuff, whereas for you it's a one off.
I'm trying to get my head around this: your father-in-law regretted giving them a gift of thanks, because they weren't grateful enough? And now you are repeating this story to discourage others for making a similar gesture? Both seem incredibly mean spirited.

I've given gifts to nurses before. I did it because I was grateful and wanted to make their lives a bit better, not because I wanted their gratitude. I felt a box of chocs in the breakroom just reminded them that people do notice what they do - even if they don't remember me.

Just thought of something else you could give (inspired by the Nespresso suggestion) - if there is a commercial coffee shop on the premises, a gift card or two might be a nice thought - enough so everyone on a shift could get a small coffee or hot chocolate or softdrink or tea.

I imagine a commercial cappuccino is a luxury to someone on a nurses wage - even if it is Star*ucks.

Reactions: srw
Top Bottom