A nice gift for the nurses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Last month, I had a bike fall and spent a couple of nights in hospital.

The medical care in general was excellent, but the nurses in particular were absolute stars - I was in the high-dependency orthopaedic ward, and I think I was the only one in the ward that only had a physical injury - most of my ward-mates also had dementia. I was quite humbled by the care and compassion that the nurses showed towards all of their patients.

I am planning to drop by the ward some time today or tomorrow with a small gift. But what should I get?

A pal who is a nurse said “don’t get chocolates - we get too many of those at Christmas”.

She suggested getting a box of “nice teas” or something like that - she said that in her ward that sort of thing is appreciated over chocolates.

And my daughter suggests getting a dozen mini-bottles of Prosecco - the 200ml “glass and a half” ones.

Any other ideas? I’m tending towards the Prosecco suggestion at the moment...

Whisky and cigarettes.

Just trust me on this.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
I have always thought nipple clamps would be an excellent gift of appreciation.

Umm - remember, this is the orthopaedic ward. I’m sure they have equipment there that makes your suggestion look extremely ordinary....

classic33

Leg End Member
For wards I've been on, I've given biscuits. Same for each shift & not too expensive. Management don't see an ex-patient giving a gift as normal. It also reduces the nurses chances of being accused of theft from a patient(Sign of the times we live in.).

A&E, it tends to be a "tin" of sweets, that they can help themselves to on the shift.

B-I-G bag of tea-bags (the carrier bagged sizes), or a catering tin of coffee, & nice Biccies

We generally end up with Chocolates (boxes of 'Heroes' etc...) brought it, & they're devoured like a plague of Locusts have landed

While I think it's really nice that you want to thank the nursing staff, and I think tea and biscuits are the most appropriate gift btw, I'd just like to say don't expect too much in the way of recognition when you do.
Mr6's father was in our local hospital a few years ago now, but he was very grateful to the nurses and made quite a long journey to return his crutches and thank them personally - he also gave them quite a bit of cash towards their "christmas party" - and none of the nurses remembered him or were at all moved by his actions.
I hope you don't have the same experience, but I guess, for them, it's every day stuff, whereas for you it's a one off.
Cash can be frowned upon, as 'officially' it has to go to Ward funds, or if over a certain amount, it disappears into the general Hospital funds
Ask them, if there's something for the staff-room, if they have one on the Ward

Nice gesture @bruce1530.
You could also get a dartboard, with a picture of Jeremy Hunt on it, and a set of darts?
Seen that done (alternated with a pic, of the Chief Executive)

A set of new uniforms?
sexy-nurse-costume-pink-white-mini-dress-nurses-uniform-adult-theatre-costumes_21533799.jpe
I have quite a few collegues, who would look like that, whilst wearing one (barring maybe hair colour/style)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm still favouring hobnobs over chocolate bourbons.

While I think it's really nice that you want to thank the nursing staff, and I think tea and biscuits are the most appropriate gift btw, I'd just like to say don't expect too much in the way of recognition when you do.
Mr6's father was in our local hospital a few years ago now, but he was very grateful to the nurses and made quite a long journey to return his crutches and thank them personally - he also gave them quite a bit of cash towards their "christmas party" - and none of the nurses remembered him or were at all moved by his actions.
I hope you don't have the same experience, but I guess, for them, it's every day stuff, whereas for you it's a one off.

My department sees 5,000 patients last year, and there are probably half a dozen that I "remember" or would recognise

The other side of the coin was a lady who complained that I "ignore her" on the bus.

I had to explain that if I greet her, ask how her illness is proceeding, then I am breaching her confidentiality as I identify her as a patient.

She now says hello to me and I am quite happy to reply as she is the one choosing to disclose

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't the point that the OP wants to offer a gesture of appreciation to the staff (whatever band they might be) and he wanted to know what form that appreciation should best take.

I don't think he was considering nurse pay.
And surely it doesn't matter what someone earns if you'd like to show your appreciation for the care received (even if the staff were 'only doing their job')

Last edited:
My department sees 5,000 patients last year, and there are probably half a dozen that I "remember" or would recognise
We'll have a few more, as I left at 17:00, I had a quick look at a recent (by booking in time) patient, & the front-sheet, had a number of 99,628 (or something around that mark!!
That's from 00:00.01 January 1st 2016
By the bells tonight, I'll expect it to be around 99,850 (I don't think we'll quite break 100,000 patients)
And, that's not for the Hospital, that's just our A&E unit

The other side of the coin was a lady who complained that I "ignore her" on the bus

Always the case, people say they were in last week/last month/last year, & think they'll be remembered
As stated by the above figures, they've got to stand out in some way, or be a 'regular' (we had one with 500+ attendances)

Top Bottom