A pavement parking odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was cycling along in the cycle lane today, nearly at my destination (a charity shop) when a car pulled close in front of me, two wheels on the pavement, two blocking the cycle lane.

I walked the last few metres and took my junk into Scope. The driver of the car followed me in with their armful of junk. I let the door close in front of them.
They said to me " You could have held the door open for me!"

Oh, an open goal!

The best I could do was to say " You could have left the cycle lane open for me"

I reckon that's a 5 out of 10 reply. What should I have said?

It's a 9/10, would've been a 10 if you'd have added, 'bellend,' on the end.

I reckon that's a 5 out of 10 reply. What should I have said?

"Yes I I could have".

Sometimes I find the logical answer funnier.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In our local hospital parking is scarce, and there are no car parks within walking distance. It can take up to an hour to find a space, and if you are going there for the first time you may not know that. Parking on the verge may be the only way to make your appointment.

Derby royal is the same about 4-5 car parks and it's literally one in one out,ended up parking ina supermarket after I dropped everyone else off and walking.by the time I got there they were coming out

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The damned idiot's badly parked (AGAIN) car was on the local Tesco's car park half an hour ago. 🧐 I mean come on, what is he/she playing at I ask??!!!🧐

View attachment 719958

View attachment 719959

View attachment 719960
It's that damned car AGAIN! This time spotted parked unusually well in the disabled bay, apart from this!! I mean how damned close do they want to get to that bollard??!! I think the damned thing's actually touching it!! 🧐

nc_ohc=TAQ-CesPLesAX-bch2b&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Badger_Boom

Über Member
It's that damned car AGAIN! This time spotted parked unusually well in the disabled bay, apart from this!! I mean how damned close do they want to get to that bollard??!! I think the damned thing's actually touching it!! 🧐

View attachment 721612

Perhaps the driver is a practitioner of what some call ‘contact parking’; moving very slowly until they feel the car bump gently into its surroundings before backing off.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Perhaps the driver is a practitioner of what some call ‘contact parking’; moving very slowly until they feel the car bump gently into its surroundings before backing off.

I think they might've parked as far in the bay as they could, to have a lesser chance of a car reversing into them from the opposite bay. 🤔

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Better than “extreme contact parking" which is where you keep going forwards until the nose dips (keeping the lights on all the time makes it easier to spot when you reach that point) or you hear bodywork creak.

They don't call it that, but I have heard the above suggested and I'm not sure they were joking.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The damned idiot's badly parked (AGAIN) car was on the local Tesco's car park half an hour ago. 🧐 I mean come on, what is he/she playing at I ask??!!!🧐

is that your car Accy? are you trolling yourself?

I note it appears to have a blue badge so parking in (or mainly in) a disabled space is allowed

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They've used the full parking bay which is completely sensible.

In my opinion, parking like this in the white striped area is fine as there isn't another parking bay on the driver side. If there was, anyone parking on the right as we look at it would have problems opening their passenger door. Sometimes due to my monocular vision I find lining my car up straight can be difficult at times.

hc-dgh-nnzszfaax9yntcz-_nc_ht-scontent-fman2-2-jpg.jpg

johnblack

Über Member
In my opinion, parking like this in the white striped area is fine as there isn't another parking bay on the driver side. If there was, anyone parking on the right as we look at it would have problems opening their passenger door. Sometimes due to my monocular vision I find lining my car up straight can be difficult at times.

View attachment 721667

Yep nothing wrong with that, not in anyones way, not sure I'd be happy to leave it like that though, someone might come passed an take a picture ;)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yep nothing wrong with that, not in anyones way, not sure I'd be happy to leave it like that though, someone might come passed an take a picture ;)
It was there again tonight! I saw a woman walk past, then walk back to stare at the car. Heck I know it was touching the bollard, but come on, it's not that bad! Maybe the driver thinks you are supposed to touch the bollards. 🤔 🧐

nc_ohc=oPsHaHAhn7wAX_nLHWp&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

1707852963123.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom