A pavement parking odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240330-180834~2.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Whoever drives that shouldn't be let out of the house, never mind be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

We get this sort of thing every Saturday and sometimes Sunday

There is a park on the other side of the main(ish) road past our estate - and it has a load of football pitches on it
hence the road is filled with cars when they are playing

on the left they park on teh grass verge
on the right they park on the cycle path - it is wide so in winter the bikes can just about pass - but in summer the bushes and stuff block the cycle path

sometime some people avoid the grass due to mud etc and park on the road
which causes chaos as cars stop to allow cars coming to get through - and buses cause tailbacks

Altogether - it is best when they park on the pavement/cycle path

Windle

Über Member
Well no, it is best if they find somewhere else to park. That doesn't obstruct the road.

Indeed, it would be best if they found an alternative proper car park that doesn't obstruct anything, but the usual whiney excuse is 'but I've got nowhere else to park', just like people who dump cars outside their houses obstructing the road. Trouble is, it's so ingrained now that it's tolerated, there's just no enforcement, which is the most annoying thing.

Well no, it is best if they find somewhere else to park. That doesn't obstruct the road.

Well yes - but the car park - such as it is - fills up very quickly and after that there are only the roads
not ideal when there are about 10 football pitches and 22 players will turn up to each one - mostly in their own cars

What to you expect them do to - ride a bike??????

or to be serious - maybe someone somewhere could plan some parking??

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
About a mile from here is a sports field, very popular with junior footballist teams at evenings and weekends.

It has a fair sized car park, 50 or 60 spaces. Sadly using the car park would involve a walk of as much as 40 or 50 metres as its at one end of the sports ground, and that is clearly far too arduous for most parents who instead dump their cars in the road, narrowing it to one lane and generally making life a pain for everyone.

I've also noticed another phenomenon at school chucking out time. The catchment is a whole 900 metre radius from the site, but as is the way most of the lazy bar stewards drive. I walk past them as they're backing off their driveways.

Parking is so tight, every verge and spare inch of footway littered with cars, that some parents have a new tactic. If they can't park they just cruise slowly up and down doing laps between the two roundabouts, one either side of the school, and when they see their fat sprog they just stop in the road and hold everyone up while said sprog waddles up and gets in the car. Aside from the hideous pollution and danger, they must be doing 4 or 5 miles some evenings, all that effort, expense, danger and pollution just to avoid a 400 metre walk. The amount of effort they put into being lazy is astonishing.

The only good news is things are becoming so fraught that tempers are fraying and there has been the odd bout of fisticuffs breaking out. Things will escalate and someone will get properly hurt, and it'll probably serve them right. The problem with behaving like a selfish bellend is that they'll one day push someone's buttons so hard they'll get a reaction they don't like. I do not condone such antics, particularly outside a school, but the problem with bellendery is that they will inevitably push someone beyond breaking point one day and receife a reaction they wont like, and if these eejuts are too dense to figure that out then I have no sympathy.

Fortunately I'm just an observer to all this, and it's astonishing to see first hand how selfish, thick, lazy, self entitled and thoughtless society has become.

Last edited:
About a mile from here is a sports field, very popular with junior footballist teams at evenings and weekends.

It ha ps a fair sized car park, 50 or 60 spaces. Sadly usingnrhe car park would involve a walk of as much as 40 or 50 metres as its at one end kr the sports ground, and that is clearly far too arduous for most parents who instead dump their cars in the road, narrowing it to one lane and generally making life a pain for everyone.

I've also noticed another phenomenon at school chucking out time. The catchment is a whole 900 metre radius from the site, but as is the way most of the lazy bar stewards drive. I walk past them as they're backing off their driveways.

Parking is so tight, every verge and spare inch of footway littered with cars, that some parents have a new tactic. If they can't park they jnstwae cruise slowly up and down doing laps between the two roundabouts, one either side of the school, and when they eee their fat sprig they just stop in thenroad and hold everyone up while said sprog waddles up and gets jn the car. Aside from the hideous pollution and danger, they must be doing 4 or 5 miles some evenings, all that effort, expense, danger and pollution just to avoid a 400 metre walk. The amount of effort they put into being lazy is astonishing.

The onky good news is things are becoming so fraught that tempers wre rrazint and there has been the odd bout of fisticuffs breaking out. Things will escalate and someone will get properly hurt, and it'll probably serve them right.

I pick the grad-daughter up from school - and her cousin - once a week or so

The parking is bad - as expected - but not as bad as some places.
I have noticed that there is an unofficial one way system in front of the school - between the two roads nearby cars only go one way - but "some people" to think that their little darling (or more likely themselves) can't be expected to walk down one of the other side roads and they HAVE to park on the same road as the school
hence the normal SUV "I have 4 wheel drive so I can park on this corner here" attitude

I gave up the second time I did it and just park at the top of the second road where there is lots more space - the kids walk the extra 200 yards with no problem even in the rain

and - no - they can;t walk home themselves - it is too far. The parents insist on them going to a Catholic school - buggered if I know why but then I was brought up in the wrong faith - and even that one never stuck!
I would suggest that she rides a bike there - but there is a massive weird junction in the way that I would be dubious about getting round on my bikes - even if I was pushing it - so I can;t see them agreeing to that!

Oldest does get the bus on her won sometimes - or walk to "the other Nan's house" if she is in - but now that her cousin is in Reception someone has to pick him up anyway!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Going back a bit now as my kids are now in their 20's, but our local primary school was so exasperated with parents crap parking / driving etc, that they invited the local police down to ticket them at picking up time. sadly it only improved things for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Going back a bit now as my kids are now in their 20's, but our local primary school was so exasperated with parents crap parking / driving etc, that they invited the local police down to ticket them at picking up time. sadly it only improved things for a couple of weeks.

The local dibble have been to ours, but there are too few of them to do it with any regularity and, as you say, a day or two later the scumbags are back at it.

I received career ending injuries protecting a lollipop lady from being assaulted by a motorist outside a school at closing time (the good news being I doubt he can father any more children as I knew he'd broken my arm so I smacked him in the love plums, which dropped him good), that is how ridiculous society has become over the school run.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
On the bus going past the Easton Leisure Centre in Bristol. Sorry its a bit blurry but always several cars parked on the pavement down here despite large friendly NO PARKING signs.

20240420_115050.jpg

Badger_Boom

Über Member
How far is too far?

I suppose that depends on the individuals. I've just calculated that back in the olden days, I walked an approximate three mile round trip five days a week when I was at high school and later sixth-form college.

I used to occasionally blag a lift with my parents if my dad was taking mum to work, but the norm was to walk regardless of the weather. I don't think it ever occurred to me to even ask for a lift on a regular basis.

Top Bottom