A pedal and cleat change.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi, I have a Giant TCR and have now come to the point where I will hibernate this until March time. This bike has SPD pedals and I want to replace them with more of a road pedal, the SPDs will transfer to the Tri-cross so once the good weather returns there is no need to switch back, just add decent road pedals to the TCR and get some new shoes.

Whats the best combo for road pedals/shoes/cleats?

vickster

Legendary Member
SPD-SL plus 3 bolt shoes. Cleats comes with pedals if ok with standard float. There’s a Shimano 105 pedal for example

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Got to ask, why do you want to change from the SPD pedals? In my experience they work in all situations, cover all bases and offer maximum usability on and off the bike. There would have to be a very good reason for me to use anything else and I certainly wouldn't want to be creating a mixed fleet. I do like my any shoe on any bike flexibility that my current one pedal type allows.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Got to ask, why do you want to change from the SPD pedals? In my experience they work in all situations, cover all bases and offer maximum usability on and off the bike. There would have to be a very good reason for me to use anything else and I certainly wouldn't want to be creating a mixed fleet. I do like my any shoe on any bike flexibility that my current one pedal type allows.
Well, when I bought my new bike I moved the SPDs off the Tri which left it without pedals, so basically I need a new set anyway and I thought I may as well go proper road on the TCR...rather than buy another set of SPDs, I also want a new pair of shoes as I HATE my current ones!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not go for a set of 'road' spd's at least you'll be able to walk with the shoes not totter around like 'Bambi on Ice'

1607319695735.png

D

Deleted member 23692

Why not go for a set of 'road' spd's at least you'll be able to walk with the shoes not totter around like 'Bambi on Ice'

View attachment 562109
Me too. Had A600s for a good few years/thousand miles and rate them highly. Once the bearings have loosened off after a rides they alway quickly swing to the same angle when unclipped (roughly parallel to the downtube) making clipping back in super easy, and no more difficult than double sided pedals. The only downside is the finish on the body isn't too robust.

It's a shame Shimano discontinued these in favour of the ES600, which by most accounts was a backwards step.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tricky one. Having mainly used SPD's for over 5 years, they are much less hassle walking. That said, my Look road pedals with carbon plates and carbon shoes make a great noise clipping in. You could also look at XT Trail Pedals for a slightly larger foot platform, and some new fancy SPD shoes - not all look like MTB shoes, and some come in silly colours like white. Who the heck wears white on an MTB.

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tricky one. Having mainly used SPD's for over 5 years, they are much less hassle walking. That said, my Look road pedals with carbon plates and carbon shoes make a great noise clipping in. You could also look at XT Trail Pedals for a slightly larger foot platform, and some new fancy SPD shoes - not all look like MTB shoes, and some come in silly colours like white. Who the heck wears white on an MTB.
i use northwave scorpius , they are an older model and i dont know if there are still out plenty stiff enough
1607338825172.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use Shimano MW7 and the M089 for most of my riding, oh and a pair of Specialized 'SPD trainers' for causal stuff.

Must say, my Spesh Pro Carbon road shoes are a pain in the ass getting down our caravan steps... I've also forgotten how slippy they can be when you put your foot down - I'm used to getting a foot down as the bike is still moving - e.g. MTB - hopping off, can't do that with road shoes.

shnjmsn

Über Member
I use Shimano RT82s which are a road shoe but with a 2 bolt recessed sole

View: https://youtu.be/EbB3BUeV2Ls

Sadly discontinued but similar shoes exist

Great shoes those were....... I have 2 pairs from back in the day. Both still won't break, both relegated now to muddy winter rides with overshoes ! Thousands of miles on both pairs, really comfortable. Migrated nowadays to Northwave 2 bolt SPD shoes which are as comfortable without doubt and I fit a 47 every time so no need to try on.

As you mention above, shame the A600 is discontinued. I have them on all my bikes except one where I have SL pedals....... and that rarely gets used as I find the SPD system sooooo much easier ! I've done 10,000 miles a year and 200 mile rides on all those pedals and 2 bolt shoes without any problem ! I'll not migrate back to SL's, purely for the hassle factor......... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom