A possible Brompton purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I am waiting until I get the bike before I pick any luggage. I may just go for the bracket and the frame in the front and see if I can fit any of my current bags to it - the Brompton bags are not cheap (but then what is in Brompton-land) :smile:
This is my plan.
I have a spare SQR block that I can get Brompton Seat-post style clips for so that allows adding a saddle-bag. I could also use a beam rack too....
On the front I might also get an S-type frame and fit another of my large Saddle-bag collection to that .... choices, choices!
With the M-type you get far more flexibility in front luggage though.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Oh, oh, oh ... I just got a call - it has arrived !!!!! ^_^^_^^_^

I will pick it up either tonight or tomorrow afternoon - I can't wait.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It is home, it is beautiful and is called Billy :smile:

Picked it up this afternoon from Evans in Liverpool. When I ordered it there was an offer of £100 of accessories with a bike purchase, but this excluded Bromptons. When I went to pick it u,p it turns out there is an offer of £100 rebate if you give them an old bike in exchange, but I had already paid for the Brompton. I pointed out to the chap that I was unlucky to miss out on both these offers, but he said the computer wouldn't let him take the discount from a bike already paid for but if I buy something he will give me the £100 rebate off that item (without even bringing in a rusty old bike) - so I am the proud owner of a C-type Brompton bag for the princely sum of £5 ^_^

Mrs and Miss Cisamcgu are vaguley impressed :tongue:

Also, I seem to have entered the Brompton World Championships on 1st August in London - so I better get training :hyper:

What an excellent day :cheers:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have only had a very brief ride, but when I borrowed one a few months ago the gears seemed pretty simple, so I am hoping I won't have any problems

The Jogger

Legendary Member
How the ratio works going from low to high not the same as my other bikes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
How the ratio works going from low to high not the same as my other bikes.
From bottom to top you kinda have to go ...

1st = Left down/Right Down
2nd = Left Up
3rd = Right Up/Left Down
4th = Left Up
5th = Right Up/Left Down
6th = .Left Up

I tend to think of it as 3 big jumps with the Right Hand (hub) and small intermediate jumps with the left (derailieur). Some gears require a double shift. It soon becomes second nature!

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have the Shimano dynahub. I haven't really got to grips with it but it has a single switch on the front light. Turn that on and pedal and both lights come on, after pedalling for about 2 minutes, stop pedalling turn the switch to off and the lights stay on for about 3 minutes. I guess this is a capacitor discharging - is this the expected behaviour ?

Andrew

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have the Shimano dynahub. I haven't really got to grips with it but it has a single switch on the front light. Turn that on and pedal and both lights come on, after pedalling for about 2 minutes, stop pedalling turn the switch to off and the lights stay on for about 3 minutes. I guess this is a capacitor discharging - is this the expected behaviour ?

Andrew

Yes, it's so when you stop at traffic lights or a junction your rear light stays on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Even when the lights are switched off ? But then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter and the capacitor has to discharge somewhere :smile:

Thanks

Ah, I see what you mean about the lights staying on after you've switched them off.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I suspect the capacitor cannot hold charge like a battery, so it will discharge itself.

Top Bottom