A question for a brainiac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few days short of a year being 354 days. You can get a pretty long way in a year, assuming my calculation isn't wildly off. You'd need plenty fuel, I don't intend to calculate how much.

The amount of fuel you would need would be infinite to reach the speed of light because as it approaches the speed of light its mass increases to infinite at the speed of light. It therefore requires more and more energy and therefore fuel to maintain the constant 1G acceleration as you approach the speed of light until the energy required to actually reach the speed of light becomes infinite.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can you confirm that you mean 'how far' and 'how long' as measured by the observer because I'm not sure I'm up to incorporating relativity into the calculations.

You just convert using the appropriate geometry, which in this case is hyperbolic.

So to get the time in the frame of reference on the earth you have c/g * sinh(g*Time in ship/c)

and so on.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You need to post in both threads at the same time to keep the rift in the fabric of the universe from creating a vacuum in the space and time of the universe.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You need to post in both threads at the same time to keep the rift in the fabric of the universe from creating a vacuum in the space and time of the universe.

TVC

Oh lordy, now the whole thing has started to map back onto itself, the internet is starting to fold in and logic is sbeginning ot aardvark Sunday lunch. Bye.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The amount of fuel you would need would be infinite to reach the speed of light because as it approaches the speed of light its mass increases to infinite at the speed of light. It therefore requires more and more energy and therefore fuel to maintain the constant 1G acceleration as you approach the speed of light until the energy required to actually reach the speed of light becomes infinite.

Infinite eh? that is plenty.

You just convert using the appropriate geometry, which in this case is hyperbolic.

So to get the time in the frame of reference on the earth you have c/g * sinh(g*Time in ship/c)

and so on.

You realise you're talking a load of 'bolics? ;)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Approx. 1G is about 10m/s per second. The speed of light is 300,000,000m/s. Therefore it will take 300,000,000/10 or 30 million seconds to get to the speed of light. Which equates to about 350 days or one year. Since the acceleration is constant from zero to the speed of light the distance travelled in a year will be about half a light year. More precisely the distance travelled is s=0.5a.t². a= 10m/s², t=30,000,000 so s=4.5.10¹⁵m or just under half a light year as expected.

Hang on RL, 300,000,000/10 isn't that just the time taken under constant velocity of 10m/s to travel 300,000,000 metres, which does not account for constant acceleration at 10m/s2 to achieve the speed of light....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
A few days short of a year being 354 days. You can get a pretty long way in a year, assuming my calculation isn't wildly off. You'd need plenty fuel, I don't intend to calculate how much.

Well apart from at 354 days in the rocket it going at 0.76c and all that, but hey.

Hang on RL, 300,000,000/10 isn't that just the time taken under constant velocity of 10m/s to travel 300,000,000 metres, which does not account for constant acceleration at 10m/s2 to achieve the speed of light....

The speed increases by 10m/s every second so the speed at 1,2,3 seconds is 10, 20, 30m/s. And by the 30,000,000th second it is 300,000,000m/s aka the speed of light (approximately)

Top Bottom