A question for a brainiac

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by mickle, 18 Aug 2012.

1. If my spaceship accelerates at a constant rate of 1G how long will it take to reach the speed of light and how far will i have travelled in that time.

2. OP
    OP
    mickle

mickle FFS

If my spaceship accelerates at a constant rate of 1G how long will it take to reach the speed of light and how far will i have travelled in that time.

3. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

Depends if you're in it.

RaRa and Mad Doug Biker like this.
  4. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

If my spaceship vibrated so much that when posting on CC I hit the Enter key twice I would be checking out the Emergency Exit.:thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker, Pat "5mph" and ColinJ like this.
  5. Norm

Norm Guest

Can you confirm that you mean 'how far' and 'how long' as measured by the observer because I'm not sure I'm up to incorporating relativity into the calculations.

6. Red Light

Red Light Guest

Approx. 1G is about 10m/s per second. The speed of light is 300,000,000m/s. Therefore it will take 300,000,000/10 or 30 million seconds to get to the speed of light. Which equates to about 350 days or one year. Since the acceleration is constant from zero to the speed of light the distance travelled in a year will be about half a light year. More precisely the distance travelled is s=0.5a.t². a= 10m/s², t=30,000,000 so s=4.5.10¹⁵m or just under half a light year as expected.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  7. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

FTFY!

8. Didn't even know you had a spaceship :unsure: :tongue:

Pat "5mph" and Norm like this.
  9. palinurus

palinurus Guru

I'm not exactly a brainiac but remembering a bit of school physics- I can remember equations of motion at least- I make it a few days short of a year. There's probably all sorts of relativistic shoot that says my answer is bollocks though.

Oh, you want distance too. Hang on...

10. bikepete

bikepete Veteran

11. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

What's a 1G ... what's the speed of light ... what are we ... where are we ... :wacko:

12. palinurus

palinurus Guru

What units do you want it in? I make it 0.49 light years.

Do I have to show my working?

13. Red Light

Red Light Guest

As per my post in the other thread, just under a year and just under half a light year.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  14. palinurus

palinurus Guru

A few days short of a year being 354 days. You can get a pretty long way in a year, assuming my calculation isn't wildly off. You'd need plenty fuel, I don't intend to calculate how much.

15. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

That other thread is much more interesting, this one's sh!te.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice